Former Lobo Chris Wehan, 14, flies through the air to attempt blocking the ball while playing against Fort Lewis in his 2016 season. Wehan signed a professional contract with Reno 1869 FC this past weekend, becoming the third Lobo from the 2016 soccer season that signed a professional contract. 

Men's Soccer: Former Lobo Chris Wehan goes pro, signing with Reno 1868 FC

Former Lobo Chris Wehan recently became the third member of the 2016 UNM men’s soccer squad to be inked to a professional contract.

Reno 1868 FC announced on Wednesday that the team offered Wehan a professional contract, as the UNM alum moves into the next level in his soccer career.

Wehan said he was appreciative of his time playing for the University of New Mexico and the outpouring of local support.

“Thanks to the New Mexico community for the support as I pursue my career in professional soccer,” Wehan said on Thursday. “I hope I can continue to make the community proud and represent UNM well.”

Wehan left his mark at New Mexico with 6,492 total minutes logged on the field. The midfielder scored 31 goals and registered eight assists in his Lobo playing career. He also became a fan favorite, with one Lobo soccer enthusiast even creating a Twitter hashtag for him “#YesWehan.”

Ian Russell, the Reno 1868 FC head coach in the release, that he believed Wehan would make an immediate impact on the team’s offense.

Wehan joined two other former Lobos, forward Niko Hansen and fellow midfielder Patrick Khouri, in signing professional contracts.

Hansen was selected in the first round of the MLS draft as the No. 9 overall pick. He became a member of Columbus Crew SC having already signed an early guaranteed MLS contract.

Khouri, a two-year starter at UNM, left the program early to play for the Finnish football club GBK Kokkola (Gamlakarleby Bollklubb).

Wehan could see the pitch soon, as the season is already underway for the team. The next game for Reno 1868 FC takes place on Mar. 25 at 7 p.m. against Orange County SC.

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She mainly covers men’s soccer and basketball. She can be reached at sports
@dailylobo.com or on Twitter
@cisabelg.