Having a baby can ruin your life if you are immature

An anti-abortion group opened a pregnancy resource center across the street from the UNM Center for Reproductive Health on July 1, after an ambulance responded to the UNM center for an abortion gone wrong.  

They offer pregnancy care, counseling and parenting classes through pregnancy and beyond. Those services would be helpful for women who are ready to be mothers. What about the ladies who did not want to get pregnant in the first place?

A large group of women who are underage and immature suffer through unexpected pregnancies because of the anti-abortion sentiment. Their lives change after having a baby: broken relationships, family conflict, social impact, financial burden and mental stress.

It’s sad to see that they are strapped with these problems which could have been avoided. Their future and their babies’ lives could be damaged by making irresponsible decisions.

My former neighbor is a 19-year-old student who just started her core curriculum at UNM. She recently moved out of her friend’s home to a place where she can accommodate her situation because of the unexpected pregnancy.  

I think her life would be different if she had an alternate choice or could have avoided the accident in the beginning.

Why should pregnant women who are underage and immature carry unnecessary hardship when they have a choice? They should not be persecuted for making a responsible decision for themselves and the next generation.

Leilei Chen
UNM community member