Students Kristen Krehbiel and Bella Robles perform a dance number February 16 near the Duck Pond for their Image and Movement class. The class will perform another piece called “Interrupted” in front of the Bookstore on Thursday at 8:30 p.m.

Seamlessly integrating dance and photography

Dance and photography seem to be at opposite ends of the artistic spectrum.
After all, dance is about movement, and photography captures a moment. But it’s these notions that Joyce Neimanas hopes to work against.

“Photo is about movement, too,” said Neimanas, who is an art studio professor. “Photography doesn’t stop the second. Time continues on.”

Neimanas, along with Jennifer Predock-Linnel, teach the class, “Movement and Image.” In its third year at UNM, the class, combines performing arts. In this case, the class blends live dance with photography. The students in the class, mainly photographers, come up with a dance routine, refine and practice it and take pictures of the entire process.

Their final project, “Interrupted” is a showcase of the dance they created and is scheduled to take place in front of the UNM Bookstore Thursday at 8:30 p.m. The dance is a mélange of movements and static sculptures, and combines props such as wooden rings, ropes and flashlights. While the students dance, the pictures they took in the class will be projected on the side of the George Pearl Hall.

At first, Neimanas said most of the students struggle with the dancing portion.
“These students aren’t performers,” she said. “But they will be now.”

Student Kristen Krehbiel said initially she was uncomfortable performing her art instead of remaining behind the camera.
“I was first really scared,” she said. “I don’t like being the subject of the art. I’ve actually liked it, though.”
Many students shared Krehbiel’s anxiety. Student Bella Robles said the most important thing about transitioning from photography to dance is letting go of inhibitions associated with being a photographer.
“You’re in there with the dancers,” Robles said. “You have to see things in a different light. You have to forget you’ve been taught.”

That jump is a lot more than most students can handle. Only 10 people were brave enough to sign up for the class and none of them are dance majors. Daniel Richmond, who is pursuing a master’s in fine art, said the intimidation associated with the class is what compelled him to enroll in it.

“I took this class because I was afraid to take it,” he said, after a dress rehearsal outside of the UNM Bookstore.
It was the class’ first live performance of the piece. Before they had always performed in Carlisle Gym, but this day they braved the billowing winds and crowds of gawking people.

Occasionally, passersby walked through the group’s performance. Others stood and stared while mumbling. Some taunted the group. For the most part, the group continued performing unbothered.

Krehbiel said that although she is mostly over the fear of performing live, she still has occasional doubts.
“I feel like I am over that,” she said. “But how can you not notice people watching you?”
The group seems comfortable with each other. Inside, they talked about ways to improve the dance or what it was like to perform outside for the first time.

Krehbiel said the group’s mentality helped ease the awkwardness of dancing publicly.
“It’s not that weird because all these other people are being weird with you,” she said.
Predock-Linnel said most photo students have trouble performing live. She said some students don’t understand that dance only becomes uncomfortable or boring when the dancers are bored or uncomfortable.

“You aren’t a photographer,” she said, during a discussion regarding the group’s first outdoor performance. “Your attitude is reflected in your performance. If one person is bored or embarrassed, then everyone else is, too.”
Predock-Linnel said attending the event is not a huge time investment.

“It’s only 10 minutes,” she said. “Most people look at their text messages or stare at their computer for hours.”

*“Interrupted”
UNM Bookstore
Thursday
8 p.m.
Free*