Don’t waste break on your couch

Spring break is one of the best things about being a student.

I say this with experience. As a fifth-year senior about to graduate in May, I have had my fair share of spring breaks. And I am pretty sure that the very best, most meaningful way to spend your spring break is on a road trip. I’ve always been of the opinion that spring break is a time for relaxing, recharging your batteries, and experiencing something new. If you are one who has never taken a road trip, I highly recommend it.

Road trips are great for many reasons: First and foremost, they allow you an escape from your daily routine. You’re embarking on an adventure where the result is unknown. Sure you have a destination, but any number of hilarious, frightening or enlightening things could happen to you along the way.

Secondly, road trips are a great way to have fun on the cheap. As long as you can spare a bit of gas money, have a cooler stocked with sandwiches and apples, and can arrange for a few couches to crash on, you can essentially live for a whole week on a mere $100.

Lastly, road trips are an excellent way to bond with your friends, meet new ones and catch up on those albums you’ve been meaning to listen to (mix CDs are acceptable too).

This year I have decided to drive with a few of my buddies to Denver. There we will go to the art museum, spend a lovely afternoon riding our bikes around Capitol Park and maybe engage in the local night activities as well. And since we are staying at a friend’s house, I’m saving lots of money. From there we will continue the driving and head to Austin for South by Southwest, a week-long festival in Austin, Texas, showcasing the best up-and-coming bands, films and other interactive artists. I’m looking forward to seeing some of my favorite bands, many of which are not stopping in Albuquerque to play. This is my ideal spring break situation, and I’m making it happen. I’m not going to waste my vacation sitting around watching the X-files and eating Baskin-Robbins with my cats.

So as a final word I encourage you to go on a drive. To anywhere. Visit a friend in that you haven’t seen in two years, convince a buddy to accompany you to the nearest In-N-Out Burger (in Prescott, AZ), or just drive away in any general direction.

When are you ever going to have the opportunity to feel this free again? It could be miserable or it could be great, but the important thing is that you’re going.