For Your Ears

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo, Gobs of Flesh, Knucklez Deep, Prey for Kali, Dope Riddle

Launchpad
Tuesday, Sept. 4 at 9:30 p.m.
$5
21

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo plays music for fans of The Number Twelve Looks Like You, Fear Before the March of Flames and Really Loud Band with a Ridiculously Long Name. This quartet blends elements of heavy metal drum beats, noodling experimental guitar taps and throat-scratching screeches, courtesy of lead singer Brandon Carr.

For your consideration: “Through the Thicket … Across Endless Mountains” begins with an awkward stumble of guitars and screams, before catching its ground and running headfirst toward a soaring guitar solo.

Reel Big Fish, The Maxies, The Blue Hornets

Sunshine Theater
Friday, Sept. 7 at 8 p.m.
$17
13

Reel Big Fish is ska’s awkward old friend, like the one you had back in middle school. Sure, the two of you were close once, but nowadays you see them and they’re still singing the same old songs. Basically, if nostalgia is your thing, Reel Big Fish is for you.

For your consideration: If you’re one of the few people who didn’t hear “Take On Me” in the ‘90s, now’s a good time to catch up on this horn-heavy tune.

Orgone, DJ Chach, Dave 12

Low Spirits
Thursday, Sept. 13 at 9 p.m.
$10
21

In a time when dub step and club music reign supreme, Orgone bravely steps up to the plate with a healthy dosage of funk. This eight-piece set of soul hits hard with percussion, trumpets and bass guitar.

For your consideration: “Cali Fever” strolls confidently with its keyboard strokes, supporting horns and a chorus of group vocals adding to the track’s heavy groove.

The Drunk Sluts, Colour Me Once, My Heart the Hero, Immortal Prophets, Society Unknown

Amped Performance Center
Friday, Sept. 14 at 6 p.m.
$10 at the door
All ages

Local musicians play it out at this battle-of-the-bands event at Amped Performance Center. Among the many bands, The Drunk Sluts perform a brash take on early ‘90s punk music.

For your consideration: Rancid-inspired “Wagon Wheel” hits all the right crunchy notes, with a punk song that barks more than it bites.

Frank Turner & the Sleeping Souls, Larry & His Flask, Jenny Owen Youngs

Launchpad
Saturday, Sept. 22 at 8:30 p.m.
$13
13

When Frank Turner raises his fist in the air, he does so with an acoustic guitar in hand. Turner rattled UK listeners when he performed at the Summer Olympics opening ceremony, taking up the mantel of Against Me! frontman Tom Gabel as an acoustic punk-rock legend.

For your consideration: Shouting “Come ye, come ye, to soulless corporate circus tops,” Turner’s performance of “I Still Believe” at the Summer Olympics opening ceremony single-handedly launched the musician to previously uncharted punk heights.

Sacrificial Slaughter, Madrost

The Gasworks
Tuesday, Sept. 25 at 7 p.m.
Tickets at the door
All ages

Performing a mess of guttural growls and chugging guitars, Sacrificial Slaughter tries its best to sound as brutal as its name implies. Variety is slim for this death metal band as it trudges from song to song through the same grimy drudge of double-bass pedal and shouts.

For your consideration: “The Sacrificial Right” has the band playing at its gloomiest, opening the track with a somber guitar before rushing into an indecipherable cacophony.