4/9_frat

The Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity was suspended Thursday. The suspension follows allegations of criminal sexual penetration at a party hosted April 1 at the fraternity house.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon temporarily suspended following alleged criminal sexual penetration

UNM’s Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity is suspended following allegations of sexual assault at a party hosted on the fraternity’s property April 1.

According to KOB.com, an 18-year-old woman attended a party at the fraternity’s house where alcohol was allegedly served. She went to a fraternity member’s room and only remembers waking up and feeling sick, according to KOB.

She was then examined by a University nurse, who notified police per standard procedure.

After interviewing the woman, UNMPD identified a suspect, who has not been charged, and is cooperating with police in the investigation, according to the police report. UNMPD detectives gathered evidence and sent it to the state crime lab, with results pending. The case is considered active.

According to a letter from Rob Burford, judicial affairs specialist for the office of the dean of students, dated April 4, all chapter activities for Sigma Alpha Epsilon are suspended because the fraternity violated several sections of the UNM Student Code of Conduct by hosting a nonregistered party with alcohol where an alleged sexual assault took place.

Fraternity members are still allowed to live in the house in the meantime and hold chapter meetings.

Burford also said in the letter that Sigma Alpha Epsilon may request an informal hearing with the office of the dean of students by April 16 to appeal the suspension. If the fraternity does not appeal the decision by that time, Burford said the University will proceed in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.

The code lists the possible sanctions members of the fraternity could face in that case, which include disciplinary probation, student suspension or expulsion, and being barred from campus premises.

Dianne Anderson, UNM director of communications, said the University conducted a meeting Monday with sorority advisers, discussing initiatives to notify sorority members of the resources available to them on campus for situations such as this.

The Daily Lobo knocked on the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house door Monday afternoon, but no one answered.