9/11_squash3

Savory squash fritters have a much lower glycemic index than potato pancakes.

Summer squash versatile, delicious, cheap

culture@dailylobo.com

As the summer nears its end, gardens are full of ripe summer squash. Home gardeners may be giving squash away by the bagful. At growers’ markets and in produce sections, these versatile veggies are about the cheapest they will be all year.

So what’s there to do with this delicious bounty? Eat it up, of course. Here is a list of simple, healthful recipes for this wonderful fall delight.

Squash has a very low glycemic index of about 15, compared to potatoes that rate between 50 and 60 on the glycemic scale. Instead of potato pancakes, substitute grated squash for wonderful fritters.

Squash Fritters
Makes 6 to 8 fritters
4 medium summer squash (Zucchini, yellow, crookneck or Mexican gray)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 eggs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
(optional, ¼ cup flour or 1/8 cup corn starch)
(optional, ½ bell pepper or 2 jalapeños, diced fine)
Oil for frying

Wash and grate the squash, first removing the ends. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Place the grated squash in a strainer or colander and weight it down with a bowl full of water to continue squeezing out liquid. If not using starch as a binder, it is crucial to get rid of as much liquid as possible.

Toss the squash (and peppers, if using) with the starch or flour (if using), and in another bowl, beat the eggs with the seasonings. Heat a small amount of oil in a heavy, large frying pan. A non-stick or cast-iron pan is ideal. Use medium to medium-high heat. Mix all ingredients together. Clean, bare hands work the best.

Take about an egg-sized amount of the mixture, squeeze the liquid out one last time, and place in the hot oil. Do not crowd the pan. Cook until golden brown on both sides. (About four to five minutes per side.)

Let drain on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any extra oil.

Serve immediately.

The popularity of the Paleolithic diet means that certain foods are no longer allowed. Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans or ceci beans, are forbidden from Paleo recipes.

Squash can be substituted to make a hummus that may fool some folks into thinking it contains chickpeas. Prepared from raw squash, it is perfect for those who choose to eat mostly raw foods. However, raw squash can be somewhat bitter at times.

Roasting the peeled, diced squash at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes removes the bitterness and gives a deeper flavor.

Squash Hummus
(makes about a quart)
4 medium summer squash
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for drizzling
1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
3 to 4 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed butter) or almond butter
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 to 2 pinches ground cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Chopped fresh herbs or greens for garnish (parsley, sage, arugula or kale is nice)

Peel and chop the squash. If roasting prior, spread squash on a cookie sheet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning. Place in a bowl and drizzle olive oil on top. Garnish with chopped herbs or greens.

Serve with crudités, pita, kale chips or pretty much anything you want to dip. This makes a nice spread for sandwiches as well. This dip will keep for two to three days if refrigerated in a sealed container.

For late-summer cookouts, grilled squash is a wonderful accompaniment to anything cooked or smoked. Squash marinates quickly and thoroughly, so this can be prepared with just a little notice.

Grilled Summer Squash
(serves 8 as a side dish)
4 medium summer squash, washed with ends removed
1-1/2 cups soy sauce
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 Tablespoons minced fresh herbs such as oregano, parsley, marjoram, sage or tarragon
(or 2 teaspoons dry herbs)

Blend all the marinade ingredients (everything save the squash) and set aside. Slice the squash lengthwise about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick. Toss in the marinade and seal in a large zipper bag.

Refrigerate, turning occasionally for at least 20 minutes. The squash will be best if it is marinated for 45 minutes to an hour, but no longer than a few hours, as the vinegar will ruin the texture.

On a medium-hot grill, either gas or charcoal, cook the squash for two to three minutes and turn. Setting the squash at an angle will leave attractive grill marks and allow the squash to cook evenly.

The finished squash will have dark grill marks and be cooked through, but not too soft. Depending on the grill heat, three to four turns will be enough.

The grilled squash is good warm or cold. To avoid wasting charcoal, make a large batch of squash and grill it after all the main course dishes are done. This recipe freezes very well and will keep for months. For vegetarians, strips of grilled squash are wonderful with meat substitutes such as veggie burgers.