4/14_football

Starting quarterback Cole Gautsche runs drills during spring practice. Gautsche appeared to injure his leg during the Lobos’ scrimmage on Saturday. Head coach Bob Davie said Gautsche pulled his hamstring.

Football: Gautsche may sit out spring

@ThomasRomeroS

With an increase of contact drills comes an increase of potential injuries. That potential became reality during the New Mexico football team’s scrimmage Saturday.

Starting quarterback Cole Gautsche appeared to hurt his leg during the Lobos’ hour-and-a-half scrimmage. Head coach Bob Davie said Gautsche pulled his hamstring and might have to be held out the rest of the spring.

Davie considered the injury in a positive light.

“It’s a chance for (backup quarterbacks) Clayton Mitchem and Lamar Jordan and Caleb (Kimbro) to get the rest of the reps,” he said.

The scrimmage was live tackling with the exception of quarterbacks. Gautsche broke a 43-yard option run but was pushed to the ground by a defender.

Gautsche lay on the ground for several minutes, then was helped off. The junior appeared to be preferring his left leg and watched the remainder of the scrimmage from the sidelines.

Friday night lights

The Lobos will host a pair of nationally televised games this fall on ESPN networks, UNM and the Mountain West announced Thursday.

UNM’s Mountain West conference home-opener against Fresno State on Friday, Sept. 26 will air on either ESPN or ESPN2.

The other contest is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 10, when UNM will face San Diego State at 7:30 p.m. at University Stadium.

Davie said having two nationally televised games doesn’t hurt.

“For a program that’s still growing like we are to have the opportunity — before the (times and TV for) the Saturday games are even announced — to have two nationally televised games in our own stadium, I think that’s a pretty good message,” he said.

The two games are a part of an 11-game Mountain West Friday package. Seven of those games will be broadcasted by ESPN networks while the other four will be shown by CBS Sports Network.

However, UNM will pay a price for both of those games. The Lobos will be on short rest each game, having to play New Mexico State on Saturday before the Fresno State game and at UTSA the Saturday before the SDSU game.

Both Fresno State and SDSU will play three times on Friday this upcoming season.

Hawaii is the only MW team that will not appear on a Friday.