Campus briefs

Fiesta 2014 draws roughly 8,000

The Associated Students of the University of New Mexico Student Special Events hosted its annual Fiesta celebration on Johnson Field Saturday. Sean Trauth, executive director of ASUNM Student Special Events, said there were likely about 8,000 students in attendance throughout the day, which he said was an improvement from last year’s attendance.

The festival included dancers, stilt walkers, food trucks, body art, yoga, ziplines, spray-painting and other activities. Trauth said there were also both local and visiting bands performing at the event, with the band Tritonal headlining.

Trauth said he considered this year’s Fiesta to be a great success.

“It was fantastic,” he said. “Our boss even said it was the most successful Fiesta she’s ever seen.”

Cyberinfrastructure Day takes place April 25

Scientists from across the state will gather April 25 to discuss cyberinfrastructure applications and how they apply to computing, data and knowledge, according to a press release from the UNM Newsroom. The event is sponsored by the Office of the Vice President for Research, the Center for Advanced Research Computing and the Office of the UNM Chief Information Officer in order to foster communication and promote collaboration among community members, according to the press release.

According to the Office of the UNM CIO’s website, the event will include speaker Eli Dart, a network engineer from the Energy Sciences Network.

Dart has more than 15 years of experience working in fields related to network architecture, according to the ESnet website. He has worked with universities, laboratories and other institutions to promote models for scientific infrastructure.
Student group raises wildlife outreach awareness

The UNM Biology Undergraduate Society hosted Wolf Fest 2014, an educational event regarding wildlife, on Friday. The event aimed to raise awareness of the endangered New Mexico Grey Wolf, according to a news release from the UNM Newsroom.

The event included a visit to Smith Plaza from Zoerro, a wolf-dog hybrid from the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary. Zoerro interacted with students while a representative spoke about preservation for grey wolves.

The event lasted for several hours and students stopped in the plaza to speak to representatives from the organizations and watch Zoerro.

Other organizations present included WildEarth Guardians, Project Coyote and Hawks Aloft, according to the press release.

Representatives from Hawks Aloft also displayed mascots to students while talking about the organization.

GPSA Council Chair Elections upcoming

On April 26, at the next Graduate and Professional Students Association council meeting, graduate representatives will vote on next year’s council chair. The candidates for the position are Daniel Gray, who is working on a masters in public administration; Jessica Marshall, a law student and chair of the GPSA Legislative Steering Committee; and Sai Uppu, who is pursuing a graduate degree in mechanical engineering.

The meeting will take place at Domenici Hall at 9 a.m.. The newly-elected council chair will succeed Maria Elena Corral.