4/23_spotlight

Effective May 3, senior journalism major Jyllian Roach will become the new Editor in Chief of the Daily Lobo.

Lobo Spotlight: Jyllian Roach

@ChloeHenson5

Jyllian Roach has been working on the same investigative piece for about eight months. Once she starts a story, Roach said it is unlikely she will let it go.

“When I’m working on a story, it’s not going to fall off the priority list,” she said. “I’m going to see it through.”

Like many of her pieces, Roach said this story will focus on people, instead of exclusively on UNM.

“This is very much a people’s story,” she said.

Roach said she expects the piece to be ready by the beginning of the fall semester.

In two weeks, Roach, a senior majoring in journalism, will leave her position as culture editor and take over as the new editor-in-chief of the Daily Lobo.

Before she was culture editor at the Lobo, Roach worked as copy editor, managing editor and editor-in-chief at the Central New Mexico Chronicle.

As the new editor, Roach said that in a lot of ways, she wants to continue and expand on the work of current Editor-In-Chief Antonio Sanchez by focusing on events that occur on campus.

“I really want to do a little more digging and see what’s there, not only issues that might be there, but also the hidden gems,” she said. “There’s so much to that campus that so many of us are unaware of.”

Roach said she plans to broaden the Lobo’s coverage of the University by ensuring she is working with a confident staff.

“I don’t think you need a whole lot of typical resources, so much as you need to be smart and confident in what you’re doing,” she said.

Roach said one of her strengths as an editor is being able to help reporters earn that confidence and do well in their jobs.

“I’ve had really great luck, in general, with being able to help new reporters learn their job and gain that confidence,” she said.

While Roach said the paper has done a great job on reporting on the president’s office, student organizations and student clubs. But she said she thinks there may be more happening on other parts of campus.

“I have a suspicion that there is a lot more going on in the various UNM schools than we are aware of,” she said. “I really want to explore that as a possibility and see what’s out there.”