UNM's Cameron Bairstow finds his way around Paul Watson #22 of the Fresno State Bulldogs into the lane during Thursday nights game
UNM's Cameron Bairstow finds his way around Paul Watson #22 of the Fresno State Bulldogs into the lane during Thursday nights game at the Mountain West Men's Basketball Championship Quarterfinals at Thomas & Mac Center, Las Vegas Nevada. UNM beat Fresno State Thursday night 93-77.

Bairstow signs with Chicago Bulls

Former Lobo Cameron Bairstow inks three-year deal with the Bulls

Former New Mexico men’s basketball player Cameron Bairstow signed a three year deal with the Chicago Bulls earlier today.

The Bulls selected Bairstow in the second round of the NBA draft with the 49th overall selection in June. The terms of the contract were not released per term policy.

“We like Cameron’s combination as a player with his size, energy, and physicality,” said Chicago Bulls General Manager Gar Forman. “He is a hard worker who will only get better with time.”

This past season for the Lobos, Bairstow averaged 20.4 points and 7.4 rebounds while shooting a conference-best 55.6 percent from the floor. He helped lead UNM to 27 wins, a third-straight Mountain West tournament title and a third-consecutive trip to the NCAA tournament.

Bairstow will join former teammate and Lobo Tony Snell in Chicago. In the 2013 NBA draft, the Bulls selected Snell with the 20th pick in the first round.

It’s the first time that the Lobos have had back-to-back players selected in the NBA draft since the mid 1980’s.

The Aussie native played in the NBA Summer League this past month. Bairstow was also part of the 17-man roster invited to training camp for the Australian National Team to participate in the 2014 FIBA World Championships in Spain.

Greenwood earns academic honor

On Monday, UNM guard Hugh Greenwood was named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches’ 2013-14 National Honors Court.

The award recognizes college basketball student-athletes who excelled academically.