Sports briefs

Men’s basketball

The men’s basketball team hired Alan Huss to become the new assistant coach, UNM announced Tuesday.

Huss spent his last four seasons as the head coach of La Lumiere School, a prep program in La Porte, Indiana. He replaces Craig Snow, who became the new head coach at New Mexico Highlands University in July. Huss will officially join the staff later this summer, pending UNM human resources approval.

“I’ve seen Alan as a great possible addition to our staff for some time now,” head coach Craig Neal said. “Now is the right time for him, and our program, to add Alan to the Lobo family. He is really going to help us in our recruiting efforts regionally and nationally. I think he’s going to bring a lot of experience from being a head coach and building a program into a national power.”

Huss had an 86-22 record during his time at La Lumiere School, which was regularly ranked as one of the top high school programs in the nation. Prior to his tenure at La Lumiere, Huss was the head coach at Culver Military Academy in Culver, Indiana, where he set the school record for victories in each of his final two years with the Eagles.

Huss spent his college years playing at Creighton University from 1997 to 2001, where he played under head coach Dana Altman and alongside NBA sharpshooter Kyle Korver.

“I’m extremely excited to coach at New Mexico with Coach Neal,” Huss said. “It’s an incredible opportunity as a coach to join the Lobos, and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve known Coach Neal for a decade, and to be able to join his staff is really exciting. It’s a national program with a great fan base, and I can’t wait to help the program continue to compete for championships.”

Football

DonTrell Moore, UNM’s all-time leading rusher, will join play-by-play broadcaster Robert Portnoy as the new color analyst for Lobo football games this season.

Last year, Moore served as the co-host of the Lobo Tailgate Pregame Show with Scott Stiegler.

“This was a no-brainer for me,” Moore said. “Making the transition to the broadcast booth is a little easier because of the jersey I wore. Being able to discuss the plays and the players, knowing how hard they have to work, that really gets my juices going.”

When Moore finished his career in 2005, he had 4,973 rushing yards which placed him as the top of the school’s all-time rushing list. He’s the only player in school history with four-straight seasons of 1,000 yards or more. His 51 touchdowns ranks first in school history, 17 more than second place.

Women’s Soccer

The Lobos lost their first exhibition game of the season at Arizona 3-0 on Saturday.

The Wildcats scored its first two goals minutes into the second period. Arizona added a late goal to seal its victory.

A weather delay occurred between the first and second period, which postponed the game for more than an hour. The teams played three 30-minute periods.

UNM’s 2014 home opener is Sept. 12 against Loyola-Chicago at 7 p.m.

~ Compiled by Thomas Romero-Salas