Albuquerque Mayor Richard Berry gets doused with water as part of the Ice Bucket Challenge Thursday at Civic Plaza. Berry became the latest to participate in the viral video event that has drawn awareness to ALS, commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Berry challenges President Frank to feel the chill

Albuquerque Mayor Richard Berry participated in the Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness for ALS Thursday in Civic Plaza.

After getting doused with four buckets of ice water, the mayor called out five individuals to take the challenge — Ian Anderson, publisher of Albuquerque Business First; Kent Waltz, editor-in-chief of the Albuquerque Journal; Bill Anderson, general manager of KRQE News 13; Mike Burgess, general manager of KOB Eyewitness News 4 and UNM’s own President Bob Frank.

Four out of five have accepted the challenge, including Frank, who will be releasing a statement Monday in the President’s Weekly Perspective.

Although Frank did not release details, University Marketing Representative Ethan Rule said Frank’s plan will include an even greater contribution by involving more of the UNM community.

What some of those challenged had to say:

· Kent Waltz: “It’s only been a few hours. I need some time to figure it out, but I plan on doing it.”

· Ian Anderson: “I was happy to respond to Mayor Berry’s challenge and to participate in such a great campaign for such a great cause that raises awareness.” Anderson completed the challenge soon after Berry issued it.

· Mike Burgess: “Well I’m on the tail end of a cold so I figured I’d go for full blown pneumonia. I have no idea how we can’t take it, since we called out the mayor.” KOB news anchor Tom Joles was one of the people to challenge Berry.

The Ice Bucket Challenge is a viral marketing campaign intended to raise awareness and funding for ALS, better known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. When one is challenged, they have 24 hours to respond by either contributing to research funds, recording a video of a bucket of ice water being poured over their head or both.

After completing the challenge they can then challenge others to do the same.

Daniel Montaño is a news editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.