New Mexico midfielder Alyssa Coonrod attempts to regain possession of the ball against a Rice opponent last September. The Lobos host Loyola-Chicago in its home opener tonight, the first home game since a hazing incident that occurred on Aug. 17.

Lobos play at home after hazing incident

The Lobos host Loyola-Chicago in its home opener at the UNM Soccer Complex. This will be UNM’s first home game since an Aug. 17 hazing incident involving the entire team.

As a result of the hazing, 22 women’s soccer players were suspended for one game and head coach Kit Vela was suspended for one week without pay.

The Lobos competed in the season’s first competition last weekend, finishing with back-to-back losses to Marquette and Weber State in the Colorado College Invitational by 2-1.

Despite the setbacks, Vela said she liked what she saw out of her players last weekend.

“We created a lot of chances against two very good teams,” Vela said. “Our team possession was very good, our attitude was good, our willingness to play together as a unit was good, it just wasn’t consistent enough for 90 minutes.”

Vela said her team needs to limit their mistakes defensively and capitalize on any chances they get on the offensive side.

Loyola-Chicago is currently 3-3 on the season after beating Green Bay University last week in overtime 1-0.

On Sunday the Lobos play No. 6 Florida at the UNM Soccer Complex. Vela said there are no major adjustments needed to be made for the game.

“In order to play against the best in our conference, we have to be able to play against the best,” Vela said. “No real adjustments, just trying to fine tune those details.”

The Lobos don’t feel any added pressure hosting a top-10 team, Vela said. It’s a win-win for the team and the players just excited to get out on the field and play, she said.

Florida is currently 4-1 on the season with their only loss coming to No. 15 Oklahoma.

Vela said that even with all of the hype surrounding the game on Sunday against the Gators, the team cannot look past a competitive Loyola-Chicago team.

She said the team has to take the season one game at a time and can’t look too far ahead.

Junior midfielder Dylann O’Connor said the team is excited to play at home for the first time this season. She added it’s much different playing at home rather than on the road.

“The atmosphere is so great here. It doesn’t compare playing away to playing here,” she said.

Vela said she thinks UNM has one of the best crowds in the country and hopes that students and fans will support the team this weekend.

“They’re very supportive and I think there’s going to be some pretty good sized crowds as well,” she said. “We’re excited to be at home.”

The Lobos are a young team this year, having only one senior, Alexis Leyba. Vela said she is looking forward to her freshman and sophomores getting more experience and more repetition.

After Sunday’s game against Florida, the Lobos will have one more non-conference game against New Mexico State on Sept. 19 before they start their conference schedule against Fresno State on Sept. 26.

Kyle Tomasi is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @KyTo22.