Crime briefs for Jan. 29, 2015

Tool stolen from UNM employee

On Jan. 20, a UNM employee made a report with UNM Police Department in reference to larceny. According to the report, the employee’s work drill was stolen from a storage room in Hokona Hall between 4 p.m. on Jan. 16 and 9:30 am on Jan. 20. Several people have access to the storage area and there are currently no suspects.

Auto burglary during game

On Jan. 21, an attendee at the UNM women’s basketball game made a report with UNMPD’s command post at WisePies Arena, aka The Pit, in reference to auto burglary. According to the report, the victim parked his car in the west parking lot between about 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. In that time, someone broke out the passenger side window and stole a child’s backpack and a checkbook. There are currently no suspects or witnesses.

Student reports sexual harassment

On Jan. 21, a student made a report with UNMPD in reference to harassment. According to the report, another student began harassing the victim beginning the first day of class by asking her rude and personal questions. On the second day of class, he approached her after class and continued harassing her. On the third day of class, the student sat next to her and began to ask her for sex. The victim told him that she had a boyfriend and ignored the student. The student began to draw sexually explicit pictures and continued to ask her for sex. The victim has not had contact with the student since the incident. She stated that she wanted to try to handle the problem with her instructor before police got involved. UNMPD advised her to speak to her instructor about the situation and to contact police if there are any further problems.

Students smoking pot in car

On Jan. 22, a patrolling UNMPD officer encountered four students in a parked car passing a glass pipe to one another. According to the report, the officer initiated a traffic stop and approached the vehicle. The officer smelled marijuana and asked the subjects to exit the vehicle. The subjects were compliant and one passenger admitted to possession of marijuana and a glass pipe. The items were confiscated and entered into evidence for destruction. The subjects were advised of UNM’s Code of Conduct and released on scene.

Car stolen during winter break

On Jan. 23, a student made a report with UNMPD in reference to the unlawful taking of a motor vehicle. According to the report, the victim parked his white Dodge pickup in South Lot on Dec. 22, 2014 and left it there while he left town for winter break. When he returned, his car was not there. UNMPD entered the vehicle into the National Crime Information Center database and found the vehicle’s license plate had been run by APD at a southeast Albuquerque location on Jan. 16. Officers are checking surrounding neighborhoods but so far have no further leads. UNM Department of Parking and Transportation Services temporarily closed South Lot and South Lot shuttle services from Dec. 15, 2014 to Jan. 9, 2015.