Campus briefs for April 17, 2015

Campus briefs

DOJ to dialogue with students, employees about sexual asault

The U.S. Department of Justice staff will visit campus Tuesday through Thursday to discuss issues pertaining to sexual violence with students, faculty, staff and others, according to a UNM press release.

The DOJ’s Civil Rights Division opened a review into the University’s policies and procedures regarding sexual harassment, including sexual assault, at the University of New Mexico last December, as stated on UNM’s website.

“UNM is fully cooperating with the DOJ on this review,” according to the statement. “Campus administrators are working closely with DOJ staff to set up and facilitate focus groups designed to help them learn more about how UNM handles allegations of sexual violence, including sex assaults.”

Gallup group shows its skills

The UNM Gallup SkillsUSA Team won six medals in the New Mexico SkillsUSA competition, according to a UNM press release.

The 19 students who participated in the event are dual-enrolled through the UNM-G Center for Career and Technical Education at UNM-Gallup in a variety of different career education programs, according to the statement.

“Their performance at the New Mexico competition qualifies them to compete at the National SkillsUSA event in Louisville, Ky. in June,” according to the press release.

Professors honored for cutting-edge developments

C. Jeffrey Brinker, distinguished and regents’ professor in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering in the UNM’s School of Engineering, and Cheryl Willman, professor in the Department of Pathology at the UNM School of Medicine, have been honored as the 2015 Innovations Fellows by STC.UNM.

“Dr. Brinker is an outstanding scientist and inventor who is internationally known for his innovative technologies in advanced materials and who has pioneered the field of sol-gel processing. His nanoparticle technologies, engineering marvels, have a broad range of applications — but none more compelling than in the field of medicine,” STC.UNM CEO Lisa Kuuttila said.

The STC Board of Directors is honored to recognize him as a 2015 Innovation Fellow, she said.

Willman will receive an Innovation Award for an issued patent this year as well as the award for Innovation Fellow, according to the statement.

“Dr. Willman is a remarkable cancer physician and inventor who is doing cutting-edge research to find new ways to treat cancer. She is an international expert in leukemia research, particularly acute lymphoblastic leukemia in children, and an innovator in discovering the underlying gene mutations in these cancer cells,” said Kuuttila.

School of Archetecture receives gift

Harrison Higgins is creating an endowment that will leave a multi-million dollar gift to support the UNM School of Architecture and Planning for the Harrison Timothy Higgins Chair in Urbanism, according to a UNM press release.

Higgins grew up in New York and, after graduating from Southern California Institute of Architecture, he was hired by a large New Mexico architecture firm as director of community planning and urban design, according to the statement.

“Harrison is a brilliant man and academician. He thought through how best to establish this gift to maximize its impact on the school. With its designation to promote research on urbanism, this is a transformational gift for the school,” Dean Geraldine Forbes Isais said.

Lobos going green

UNM has been listed as one of the United States’ most environmentally responsible colleges by the newly-released Princeton Review’s Guide to 353 Green Colleges: 2015 Edition, according to a UNM press release.

The Princeton Review Guide to Green Schools, now in its sixth edition, is the only free, comprehensive resource identifying colleges with exemplary commitments to sustainability, according to the statement.

Schools were chosen for the 2015 edition based on their 2014 Green Rating scores of 60 to 99 tallied from school guides and website school profiles last August, according to the statement.

~ Compiled by Sayyed Shah