Gavin Green practices for the Mountain West Tournament at the Championship Golf Course on April 15. Green and the UNM golf team will travel to Tuscon, Arizona to play in the Mountain West Championships. The conference tournament starts Friday.

Men's golf team's tweaks lead to improved play

In March, the Lobos blew a 12-stroke lead in the final round of the San Diego Classic and finished in third place. After the tournament, UNM had a team meeting and decided to change its approach.

“We had a team meeting to see what we could do as a team to make ourselves better. We decided that we’re going to be a little more like basketball so we know what the score is at all times,” senior golfer Sam Saunders said. “Now we had started to know what the score is and know how everybody is doing. We got some momentum going, and everyone started playing well.”

The change in strategy has helped the Lobos play some of their best golf of the season in anticipation of the Mountain West Championship, which begins this Friday in Tucson, Arizona. UNM won its last stroke play event at the 3M Augusta Invitational earlier this month. The team also tied No. 2 Texas and No. 30 TCU in match play two weeks ago.

UNM has won the past two MW titles and is looking to become the second team in MW history to win three straight championships. The Lobos won four consecutive MW championships from 2003-06.

“Obviously a lot of people are counting on us to win so there’s a little pressure, but it’s normal. But like I said, if we just all focus on our game we should be good,” senior golfer Gavin Green said. “We just need to get a couple going and start early, then finish strong. We don’t really think about winning or anything. We just go out and play as it goes.”

Head coach Glen Millican said the team has the ability to win its third straight MW crown.

“Anytime that we have a good team to play well, you really hope the guys play as well as they can at conference. Winning a conference championship is a big deal,” Millican said. “Our conference is very competitive.”

UNLV and San Diego State will be UNM’s toughest competition at the MW Championship. The Rebels have won two tournaments this season and are ranked No. 24 in the nation, according to Golfweek. The Aztecs are No. 35 in the country and have several top-five finishes this year.

The two teams also boast players ranked in the top 50. UNLV’s John Oda is No. 29 in the nation, and SDSU’s Xander Schauffele is at No. 32. UNM will have the highest-ranked player at the MW Championship with Green, who is No. 10.

“If they play well, it’ll be a fight with those guys,” Millican said. “If you get great weather, you can’t get by playing okay.”

With a win, Millican will surpass Dick McGuire for most victories at UNM. Millican is currently tied with McGuire at 28 wins.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@ThomasRomeroS.