Letter: Campus weapon policy enables predators, creates victims

On Friday, there was another student alert of a female being groped on UNM main campus. That makes five groping reports in a month (according to KOB Channel 4 news).

As people on campus are being targeted by predators, the UNM policy office states: “No person may use or possess a weapon on any part of campus.” Also, any weapons found could lead to materials being impounded by law enforcement and disciplinary or criminal action. (The only persons exempt are campus police and “inoperable” weapons by ROTC).

This policy creates an atmosphere in which any person on campus becomes a walking target, as well as a place in which a predator does not have to worry about whether or not the person they assault has a defensive weapon. Outside of campus people are allowed to carry defensive weapons such as pepper spray, mace, collapsible batons and non-switchblade knives.

People should have the right to defend themselves on campus, and if assaulted have the ability to defend themselves with these or other weapons. Be aware of your surroundings and the people around or approaching you. Use your intuition. There are too many people on campus walking while talking on their phones, texting or walking with their eyes toward the ground.

Read the book “The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence” by Gavin De Becker. In the future, I would like to hear more news stories of attackers being subdued by their victims or being forced to flee from their targets.

Sincerely,

Frank Dolan

UNM alum