​UNM professor to study in nation’s capital

Kathy Powers, an associate professor of political science at UNM, was awarded the honor of studying at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, D.C. over the summer, according to a UNM release.

According to its website, the center “seeks to be the leading institution for in-depth research and dialogue to inform actionable ideas on global issues”, and is a “gathering place for some of the best and brightest scholars and experts from around the world.”

“Violence and Victim Redress—Understanding the Causes of Reparations: Bosnia and Herzegovina Transitional Justice Efforts in the Aftermath of Civil Conflict” was the theme of Powers’ project at the Wilson Center.

She has an interest in institutional cause and effect, and specifically looks at the legal causes of “global reparations efforts following mass human rights violations,” according to the release.

Powers’ research has been featured in various academic journals and publications, and she was the recipient of the 2013 UNM OSET New Faculty University Teaching Award, as well as the 2010 recipient of the Faculty of Color Teaching Award, given by The Project for New Mexico Graduates of Color, according to the release.