Dennis Billy, residence service manager at Joy Junction, discusses the setup for Thursday’s Thanksgiving meal on Tuesday afternoon. Joy Junction will serve 1,500 families at the convention center.

Holiday Time: Local food banks, churches serve Thanksgiving meals

With Thanksgiving just a day away, the Roadrunner Food Bank is working to distribute food to a variety of organizations around Albuquerque in the hope that no one goes hungry. Here are some places welcoming the homeless and anyone else in need of a meal.

Joy Junction, 4500 Second Street SW, is providing a traditional Thanksgiving meal on November 25 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Albuquerque Convention Center. Up to 1500 people can be seated. A meal will also be served at the shelter from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

The Lifeline of Hope mobile food truck is stopping at eight locations on Thanksgiving Day from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., including the Transgender Center, Los Altos Park and the Tewa Motor Lodge.

The Salvation Army is serving a Thanksgiving meal at its church location, 501 Broadway Blvd. SE from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. About 800 to 1200 people are expected to attend. The Salvation Army is also asking for volunteers and toy donations for the Christmas Angel program.

McDonald’s Restaurant, 1390 Rio Rancho Blvd. SE, is serving a meal on Thanksgiving Day from 11 am. to 2 p.m. The restaurant has been working with St. Felix Food Pantry for more than 10 years to distribute food.

La Mesa Presbyterian Church, 7401 Copper Ave. NE, is providing a “Feast of Hope” Thanksgiving Day meal from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. In addition, its clothing bank will open at 10 a.m. and craft-related activities are provided for the children. Anyone wishing to volunteer can walk in between 6 a.m. and 5 p.m. to help open canned goods. Turkeys, ham, packages of individual juice boxes, cakes or pies are acceptable donations.

Project Share, one of several programs of St. Martin’s Hospitality Center, serves about 40,000 meals to the hungry each year. A Thanksgiving meal will be served from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. at 1515 Yale Blvd. SE.

Jenna Stoff is a culture reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com.