Renovation supplies occupy a second story room of ABQ Rescue's most recent undertaking, a renovation of a former dance study into dormitory living for women participating in their programs. The renovations begin February 15, 2016, and is the start to a larger renovation project in the coming years.

Albuquerque Rescue Mission to begin housing project for homeless

It’s no secret that homelessness has been a growing issue in Albuquerque, with 1,639 homeless individuals identified in the city in 2011 alone, according to cabq.gov.

Albuquerque Rescue Mission hopes to assist this population by creating 132 housing units for men and women in its "life transformation programs," Albuquerque Rescue Mission's Communications Coordinator Steve Ulibarri said. 

He said the final product will be dorm-style units with common dining areas and described the project as having two phases.

The first phase of the project will begin on Feb. 15 and will entail the re-purposing of Albuquerque Rescue Mission’s downtown location, Ulibarri said.

The second phase will involve renovating what used to be Furr’s Family Dining on 2nd St.; the group’s daily food and clothing services will be placed here, as opposed to their original location downtown, he said. The building will also serve as a year-round emergency shelter for roughly 300 men and women.

Although the project has already received $786,000 in private funding through the Federal Home Loan Bank of Dallas via a partnership with the New Mexico Bank & Trust, three million dollars still needs to be raised, Ulibarri said.

The housing units are free of charge and open to anyone who has applied and been accepted into the men’s and women’s life transformation programs, Ulibarri said. From 12 to 22 months, residents will be enrolled in programs, which provide them with food, clothing, housing, job preparation, substance abuse recovery and spiritual restoration services.

Bethany Armstrong, a junior English major, and Mikeal Robinson, a junior communications major, worked directly with the homeless for their photo-essay, Concrete Nomads, which was published in the University’s Fall 2015 Best Student Essay magazine; Robinson photographed the homeless, while Armstrong documented the experience and told the individuals’ stories.

Robinson said the piece was done documentary-style. 

"(We're) giving the homeless population a voice. They’re often looked over, and people don’t really give them the time of day," he said. "[We aimed to give] them character.”

He said he used black and white photos for the magazine, not only for dramatic effect, but also because the lack of color draws more attention to the photo without distraction. This contrasts with Armstrong’s description of the individuals’ personalities: colorful.

Both Armstrong and Robinson see Albuquerque Rescue Mission’s project in a positive light. They said they felt that shelter, a place to sleep and food to eat, makes all the difference in the world.

“[The program is] definitely something needed. You can see the homeless walking around every single day. It’s heartbreaking,” Armstrong said. “Even after writing the essay, I wish I could do more…Hearing that there are people out there doing more is what we want. It’s what we wanted to inspire.”

Missing out on a home, food and shelter destroys a person, she said.

"[A few of the individuals we spoke with for the essay] all had had mental breakdowns and disorders. I’m sure not having a home was just so impacting," she said. 

During the interviews for the essay, Robinson said, the individuals did their best to recount their experiences in good spirits, but it was evident they have been affected.

“They just want to be noticed, have someone to talk to," Robinson said. "They’re people too. Sometimes, people tend to forget that.”

Ulibarri said the project is necessary as more people are living on the streets than at any time in recent memory. The task is not just about ensuring a shelter for the homeless, but sound body and mind as well.

“I get to see lives changed every day," he said. "Miracles are part of my daily experience.”

To learn more about volunteering, donating and more, visit: abqrescue.org. 

Elizabeth Sanchez is a reporter for the Daily Lobo.She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Beth_A_Sanchez.