Source: The UNM Police Department Crime Log

Freshman issue: Tips to stay safe on campus

As an incoming freshman, there are some things to know about being on campus.

UNM is in the center of the city and there are some issues which come with that, specifically with crime, which isn’t exactly rare in the area.

According to UNM Police, since the start of January there have been at least 58 incidents of burglary, 99 cases of larceny and 41 incidents of battery.

But those numbers shouldn’t be discouraging. Like any other college, the University of New Mexico is a safe place to learn. However, being on an open campus warrants caution.

“One of the biggest crimes reported is theft,” UNMPD Lieutenant Larry Bitsoih said.

As far as places to avoid, Bitsoih said the problem doesn’t lie in certain areas. He placed importance on being aware of your surroundings.

“I wouldn’t say avoid... it is an all and all safe campus. There are just things that students could do to prevent theft like, self-awareness,” Bitsoih said. “Don’t make your property visible. You know, like leaving your wallet out or purse. That in itself will entice someone to try and take your belongings.”

Like any major city there is going to be crime, but Bitsoih emphasized the need to monitor your own property and not leave anything behind that could possibly be stolen, including bikes, wallets and purses.

The time of year when crime seems to spike is generally in the month of August, Bitsioh said.

“We generally see an increase at the beginning of the school year,” he said.

Keeping tabs on where your belongings are could potentially save money and heartache. This even goes for sitting down to eat lunch at the Student Union Building (SUB), one of the more popular areas to hang out on campus.

“There aren’t really many crimes committed, but I do have to call the cops a lot on homeless people or drunk people refusing to leave the building,” building manager Saul Carrillo said.

According to Carrillo, the SUB is a safe place for students to study and hang out, depending on the time of day.

“Yes it is (safe), during the daytime. I wouldn’t recommend coming at night just because all the homeless people are here at night,” he said. “Just be aware of your surroundings.”

Coming to college can be a frightening thought for many reasons, but it shouldn’t threaten the safety of an individual.

UNM police officers can often be found patrolling campus. Blue emergency poles with a direct link to UNMPD are also scattered around campus if a threatening situation arises, and other resources like the LoboGuardian app and LoboRESPECT prioritize student safety.

Attending UNM provides an experience that not many other colleges can replicate, with the campus located at the heart of the city, leading to tons of unique experiences along the way.

As long as students are keeping an eye open when attending classes and hanging out on Central Avenue, they can make sure they’re experience is as safe as it is enjoyable.

Nathaniel Taglialegami is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.