Letter: Media is wrong about Syrian pres. Assad

All decent, peace loving Americans should be proud of the recent trip by Republican Sen. Dick Black to Syria. During his visit, the Virginia Republican met with the legitimate and democratically elected Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and urged the West to help Syria in it’s fight against ISIS terrorists. When the Syrian Arab army liberates a new city or town from ISIS terrorists, it should be something that decent people all around the world regard as a step forward for humanity. The official line coming from Washington that President Assad is a war criminal who must step down has been soundly refuted based on the warm and hospitable reception that Sen. Black was given on his trip to Syria. Whereas official organs of propaganda like CNN and Fox news seek to portray the war in Syria as a battle between the Shia government of Assad against the Sunni majority population, Black has the courage to speak truth to corrupt powers. Black says Assad is fighting “in an attempt to restore peace and prevent the slaughter of Christians and other minorities.” Hopefully, more and more Americans will be able to see through the smoke and mirrors of the Zionist and corporate dominated media so that our elected officials will be under too much pressure to escalate US involvement in Syria.

Muhajir Romero

UNM student