Letter: American society doesn't care if Asians are killed or dehumanized

Do Asian lives matter too? Doesn’t look like it, if you see all these Asian store workers in inner cities across America being murdered in cold blood while their stores are robbed – that’s what they get in exchange for providing basic necessities and accepting food stamps and welfare cash. Has even one of such murderers gotten the death penalty even with evidence clearly recorded on store cameras?

And the Asian Sikhs in that temple in Wisconsin who were slaughtered, did their lives matter enough to warrant any kind of thorough investigation of any white supremacist group that the terrorist Wade Page was a member of, to see if he was aided and abetted by any of this group or others he was living with? Instead government officials like Attorney General Holder and Speaker Ryan (representing Wisconsin) praised the “compassion” and spirit of “forgiveness” on the part of Sikhs following that atrocity, and sat back and did nothing for justice.

Right here in Albuquerque, what about the suspicious death of liberal activist and attorney Mary Han? How come the police have not investigated possible murder sufficiently?

No, on the contrary, Asians are regularly made fun of (despite being one of the hardest working, most successful demographics in this country) as characters in this or that sitcom or commercial. All this belittling in fantasy does is incite hate crimes against Asians in reality with impunity, all the way to gratuitous murder.

Arun Ahuja

UNM student