UNM honors alumna by breaking new and historic ground

The Hodgin Hall Patio is undergoing its second phase of renovation which, once completed, will honor Karen Abraham, who retired last year after 45 years of service to UNM.

The Alumni Association has chosen to commemorate Abraham, who was associate vice president of the Alumni Relations Office as well as executive director of the Alumni Association.

Starting out as a Lobo undergrad, making her total time at UNM a whopping 52 years, Abraham said she understands the original historic vision for the University.

“There were people living in New Mexico before it even became a state,” she said. “They envisioned, without any other school system, building a four story brick building on the mesa that would educate and help the people of New Mexico.”

Abraham is a lifelong Lobo and triple alumna, earning her bachelor’s of science in education in 1967, her master’s degree in 1968 and her doctorate in education in 1971.

The value of education is a gift to yourself that no one can take away, Abraham said. After graduating, she served UNM in Student Affairs and Alumni Relations.

Abraham had long dreamed of revamping the courtyard to make it more desirable for all who spend time on campus. Originally the first building on campus, the front door of Hodgin Hall faced west, but was changed to east to welcome students, faculty and alumni.

“That building really represents the beginning of the footprint of the university,” Abraham said.

Prior to the construction, historic benches dating back to 1808 sat idly by the road, according to the Alumni Association. Now renamed “class gifts,” the benches have been relocated to the Southeast corner of the patio.

The Alumni Association said the new quarters will be named “The Courtyard of Classes” and will be part of a rich history, as Hodgin Hall was constructed in 1892.

“This area, solely dedicated to class gifts, offers history of early graduating classes. An informational sign will be located in the area describing the class gifts and their representation,” representatives of the association stated. 

Although the class gift benches were preserved, the stone fountain was permanently removed, representatives said, adding that the decision was not made hastily.

“It was decided by the UNM Historical Preservation Committee that a new fountain be constructed. Although the old fountain was considered a class gift, it had been rebuilt several times, and no longer maintained its historical value. A new fountain will be installed that will be water efficient and there will be more usable space around the fountain,” association officials said.

Consideration also went into the vegetation in the courtyard prior to construction and nine trees altogether were removed.

Six were relocated near Dane Smith Hall, according to the Alumni Association, while “the other three Cottonwoods were removed permanently due to diseases and potential determent.”

The original setup was small and often overlooked, officials of the Alumni Association said. The new courtyard will welcome all who enjoy the terrain surrounding the University.

“When the Hodgin Hall Patio project is completed, there will be a more functional courtyard to host events, more available seating, efficient lighting, and improved landscaping,” Officials said. “Ultimately, the Hodgin Hall Patio area will be a place people will seek on campus. The improvements to the area are long overdue. The UNM Alumni Association is happy to gift this to the University on behalf of Karen A. Abraham,”

Abraham’s vision will come to fruition shortly after the fall semester begins, she said, as she hopes students will visit Hodgin Hall and the new courtyard, gaining an interest in the heritage of their university.

Construction should be completed early September of this year. An official dedication will follow.

“Knowing its history, and some of the people that went before and what their hopes and dreams were, helps you appreciate the university as it is today,” Abraham said. “The more you know about your family, you become more grounded.”

Every student that graduates from UNM is automatically an alumni, Abraham said.

“When you graduate, then you become an extended family of close to 200,000 alumni," she said, "all being imprinted by the University and being Lobos and you have something in common."