Crime Briefs for Sept. 22

Criminal sexual penetration at UNM Children’s Psychiatric Hospital

On the evening of Sept. 15, a UNMPD officer was dispatched to the UNM Children’s Psychiatric Hospital in regards to a female patient claiming she had been sexually assaulted, according to the UNMPD report.

The patient spoke with her therapist, accusing a hospital employee of forcing her to perform oral sex and touch the employee’s genitals, according to the report. She also claimed the employee digitally penetrated her. Both Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners and UNMPD Sexual Misconduct and Assault Response Team are conducting investigations.

Drug paraphernalia, firearm found in Sleep Disorders Center parking lot

On Sept. 13, two officers were dispatched to the Sleep Disorders Center on 1101 Medical Arts Ave. NE in response to a suspicious male in a parked vehicle.

According to the UNMPD report, upon reaching the parking lot, one of the officers saw the suspect in question sitting in the driver’s seat of a vehicle with a syringe and Maverick shotgun with a pistol grip in plain view on the passenger’s seat.

The suspect complied when the officer asked the driver to step out of the vehicle, and he was placed in handcuffs. The shotgun was previously filed as a “lost gun” through the National Crime Information Center and was loaded with one shell.

Two additional syringes, a spoon and five small plastic bags were also found in the vehicle. One or more of the bags’ contents later tested presumptive positive for Opium Alkaloids, which is used in heroin. The shotgun, plastic bags and spoon were tagged as UNMPD evidence.

The shotgun was removed from NCIC listings, and the empty syringes were disposed of in a sharps container. According to the report, the suspect was taken to the Metropolitan Detention Center and booked for Possession of a Controlled Substance.

Domestic violence at UNMH pediatric unit

On the afternoon of Sept. 13, officers were dispatched to the General Pediatric Unit on the 6th floor of UNMH in reference to a domestic battery, according to the UNMPD report. The victim said he was visiting his four-year-old daughter, who was receiving hospital treatment, when an argument broke out between him and his ex-girlfriend.

The report states that he left the hospital to purchase lunch for his daughter. When he returned, his ex-girlfriend was upset with him for not bringing her something to eat as well, he claimed.

His ex-girlfriend, who spent 24 or 48 hours visiting the child, is the mother and primary caretaker of the daughter, according to the report.

She accused the victim of insulting her in front of their child. While they were in the child’s room, the woman attempted to hit the victim but missed; she then stabbed him with his car keys in his left hand.

A responding officer later saw a small, non-bleeding wound on the man’s left hand, and said a court summons would be issued to the woman rather than an arrest.

The report states the man cannot take full custody of his child and said his ex-girlfriend is still the primary caretaker of their daughter, who has special medical needs.

The victim then left the premises.

Harassment on Sigma Chi NE

On the morning of Sept. 15, an officer was sent to Sigma Chi NE in response to reports of a woman who claimed she had been receiving unwanted phone calls from unknown men seeking sexual engagements, according to the UNMPD report.

The victim said she believes the phone calls may be linked to an unknown female she had previously counseled and who no longer lives in New Mexico. According to the report, the woman said she felt her work phone number may have been posted on a pornography website, but when UNMPD searched for her phone number online, no pornography websites were listed.

The woman said she would monitor her phone calls and change her phone number if necessary. The case is currently closed, pending further leads.

Indecent exposure and false fire alarm at police station

On Sept. 15, UNMPD was called to respond to reports of a male subject attempting to open fire hydrants. Because the incident occurred off campus, the information was transferred to Albuquerque Police, according to the UNMPD report.

Later, a male matching the suspect’s description entered the UNMPD office, carrying a box of popsicles that were stolen from an event at Hokona Hall. He exposed his genitals as he walked past the dispatch window, shocking dispatchers. After two dispatchers pointed in the male’s direction, an officer walked toward the subject and saw the man grasping his pants, according to the report.

The male proceeded to look directly at the officer, turn around, drop his pants and pull the fire alarm. The building’s three stories and basement were evacuated, and the subject was arrested immediately.

Compiled by Elizabeth Sanchez