Letter: Electing Hillary isn't enough to stop Republicans

I just read a fantastic article at the Los Angeles Times explaining why the election is going to be a slam dunk for Hillary. It also mentions that as far as the Congressional races go, things are not nearly as clear cut.

While it’s becoming more obvious by the day that Hillary is going to win the election, I must act as the bearer of potentially bad news by letting my fellow readers know: the Republicans are likely to maintain their strong presence in Congress. They’re not going to make things easy for us. The article mentions that the House in particular has had a Republican stronghold since 2010. Because of the way districts are determined, this is unlikely to let up anytime soon.

Conservative and Republican politicians enjoyed a comeback victory in 2014, but what many don’t know is that such was the result of gerrymandering and outright district manipulation. Because the Republican Party has been somewhat successful at blocking some of Obama’s policies, we can‘t remove from the table the possibility that this may happen under a Hillary presidency.

As a strong liberal I have warned for a very long time against what I like to call “weenie hipsters” who like to tweet on their laptops while sitting in Starbucks about the reality of global warming or the need for universal healthcare, only to do nothing to further our causes in the real world. If this is how we’re going to act this election cycle, we are in for a rude awakening indeed, even if Hillary wins.

And so at the risk of sounding somewhat self-righteous I have to implore liberal readers of this paper to do more than simply vote in the way they know is right. You are voting for Hillary? Fantastic! But what are you doing to bring like-minded voters into the mix? Remember that Donald Trump supporters are persistently enthusiastic about their candidate and their causes.

The midterm elections of 2010 and 2014 should demonstrate that the Right take their convictions very seriously. Are we ready to show them that we do as well?

Jeremiah M. Wall

Daily Lobo reader