Pathology professor, Innovate ABQ leader recognized as recipients of Presidential Award of Distinction

In his weekly University-wide communique, UNM President Bob Frank announced this year's honorees of the Presidential Award of Distinction, recognizing a pair individuals who have made an impact in two very different facets of the University. 

Terry Laudick, one of the honorees, is currently the president and CEO of Nusenda Credit Union, according to Frank's communique, and also sits on the Board of Directors for STC.UNM, an arm of the University devoted to fostering local economic growth with the institution's involvement. 

Laudick also chairs the Board of Directors for Innovate ABQ, a young non-profit corporation established by UNM administrators to help develop the downtown area "as a premier innovation district for researchers, inventors and entrepreneurs," according Innovate ABQ's website. 

Innovate ABQ broke ground over the summer on its first physical facility, comprising of a workspace as well as residential apartments for prospective innovators.

"(Laudick) has helped champion Innovate ABQ and is an active supporter of CNM and APS," Frank wrote in his communique.

The second honoree this year is Larry Sklar, a professor in the UNM Department of Pathology and director of the UNM Center for Molecular Discovery. 

"(Sklar's) accomplishements, which include an outstanding record of inventions, have been tremendous for both UNM and the community," Frank stated in his communique. 

Sklar is also a Helen Hay Whitney Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of California at Santa Cruz, and has published works in a variety of journals on topics ranging from enhancing chemotherapy to various discovering in his field. 

Sklar was also involved in a project made possible by a nearly $5 million grant given to UNM in 2014 to develop a "national database that researchers can use to link information about drugs, diseases and genes," according to Albuquerque Business First.

Frank wrote in his email that both Laudick and Sklar will be formally recognized at a December undergraduate commencement ceremony.

Last year's honorees of the award Jeffrey Brinker and Patricia Crown, professors in chemical & biological engineering, and anthropology, respectively.

Contact the Daily Lobo news desk at news@dailylobo.com