Crime Briefs for Jan. 19

Arson and criminal trespass at Woodward II

On Jan. 8, a UNMPD officer was dispatched to Woodward II at 700 Lomas Blvd. NE in reference to a fire alarm, according to a report. UNM dispatch was unable to identify the exact location of the fire alarm within the building. The officer recalled that on Dec. 23, 2016, a homeless male suspect started a fire at the location and was found on the lower level, whereupon another officer ordered him to stay off UNM property. The officer gave the above information to another officer who was dispatched. 

When in the lower level parking area, the first officer noticed an African-American male grasping a white lighter in his left hand and standing beside the second officer. The second officer said, upon arrival, he noticed the male was curled around an active fire; thus, he ordered the male to show him his hands. The fire was damaging the southwest corner of the building, and two other burn sites were on the south end of the building. The male identified himself under the same name given on Dec. 23; however, he denied being notified that he was not permitted on UNM property. 

The officer who spoke with the individual on Dec. 23 identified him as the same male; however, the officer stated he saw fire remains, not an active fire when he first saw the male. The second officer said AFD was able to extinguish the fire with a light spray of water. Without incident or injury, the male was taken into custody for arson. He was also booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center without incident.

Criminal trespass at Cornell Parking Structure

On the early morning of Jan. 11, an officer was on patrol and observed individuals skateboarding on the top level of the Cornell Parking Structure, where signs clearly indicated skating was not permitted, according to a report. The officer drove to the top floor in a marked police unit and passed by three skaters, verbally warning them to stop skating. All three skated to the lower level. The officer also noticed four other males run down the stairs. The officer stood near two vehicles on the top floor, waiting for the skaters to return. 

While waiting, the officer discovered a metal grinder used for breaking down marijuana as well as a glass jar carrying a green, leafy substance with a smell similar to marijuana. The officer collected the items, hoping to find the owner. One male reached the top floor and approached the officer, who asked if the substance belonged to him. 

After the male said the substance was not his, the officer allowed him to exit the parking structure. Three individuals began to walk up the east side of the structure and skate down within feet of the officer, who asked them to stop. When the skaters ignored the request, the officer called other units for assistance.

Battery on healthcare worker at UNMH

On the afternoon of Jan. 11, an officer was sent to UNMH Emergency Room #16 in reference to a battery of a health care worker, according to a UNMPD report. Upon arrival, the officer was told to speak with an ER nurse, who said the male suspect was removed from the trauma unit and placed in ER #16. The male needed to be secured in feet and hand restraints, due to disorderly conduct with trauma unit staff. The nurse said she was in the suspect’s room, placing a heart monitor on him and explaining why he was in the room, when he began using foul language. 

She said he then sat up, took a deep breath and purposely spat saliva and mucus onto her face. The officer spoke with a laboratory technician, who was present during the incident; she said she heard the male’s obscene language and saw him spit on the nurse. Although the officer attempted to speak with the male, he had been sedated — thus, he could not be arrested. A copy of the report will be sent to the District Attorney for review and potential prosecution.

~Compiled by Elizabeth Sanchez