Senior Jannell Hadnot breaks the school record in the triple jump with a 43-foot-6-inch leap on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017 at the Albuquerque Convention Center.

Track and Field: Individuals shine at NM Classic & Multis

The Lobo track and field team demonstrated that the New Mexico Classic & Multis was more than just a tuneup for them this weekend.

New Mexico garnered one individual title and 22 top-10 finishes to provide evidence of the team’s focus on the Mountain West Championships.

“It just shows they continue to get better,” head coach Joe Franklin said. “Even though it’s an off week, they are still competing very hard, taking it seriously.”

Official team scores were not counted at the meet, but UNM posted impressive individual marks in several events.

Senior jumper Jannell Hadnot broke the school record with her sterling jump of 43 feet 6 inches in triple jump. She improved her personal record by 3 1/2 inches to set her lifetime best mark.

“It’s such a good accomplishment,” Hadnot said about her jump in a release. “I’m very appreciative and so happy with everything that I’ve been able to accomplish this year, but being able to hold it by myself is really nice.”

Four of Hadnot’s six attempts surpassed 42 feet 8 inches to outdistance the competition and guarantee the win.

“I was very consistent,” Hadnot said. “Today was the first day of the season that I got all of my marks, which is the best part about it.”

Hadnot was likely to punch her ticket to the NCAA Championships as she placed No. 10 in the triple jump national rankings.

“Jannell continues to be one of the best in the country...her consistency this week was great,” Franklin said. “So that’s what you have to do, you will have a chance to make it to the finals in the National Championship.”

Like Hadnot, the solid performance of junior thrower Amaris Blount over the past three weeks showed the ability to improve on already impressive marks.

Blount’s toss of 60 feet 3 3/4 inches was good for a third-place finish in the weight throw on Friday and was only 7 inches from Amanda Barnes’ school record.

Freshman Akeisha Ayanniyi posted an equally impressive feat, leaping 18 feet 10 inches to finish third, setting a personal best as well.

Additionally, Allison Mady, Kyra Mohns and the men’s 1600-meter relay team all moved to fourth all-time in UNM history in their events.

Mady accomplished a personal record with 45 feet 2 1/2 inches (10th) in the shot put. Mohns also set her personal record in pentathlon of 3,691 points (fifth).

Cheyne Dorsey, Isaac Gonzales, Carlos Salcido and Mark Haywood finished 3:13.27 in the men’s 1600 relay to place fifth.

The Lobos also posted a collection of top-10 finishes with solid individual marks.

Haywood and Dorsey both added top-10 finishes in the 400-meter run. Haywood placed seventh with a time of 48.32, and Dorsey ranked ninth at 48.57.

The men’s distance runners rounded out some of the strong performances, providing many of the team’s top finishes.

In the 800-meter run, Elmar Engholm finished at fourth (1:53.49) and Taylor Potter placed eighth (1:57.24), while Adam Monroe ran at 4:19.57 (sixth) in the mile run, and Tyler Valdez ranked 10th (4:21.17).

In the 3,000-meter run, Jared Garcia achieved a time of 8:51.88 to secure seventh place.

The Lobo men’s squad also added strong performances in the field events.

In the long jump, Tanner Battikha leaped 23 feet 3 1/2 inches (fifth) and Alejandro Goldston finished at eighth (22 feet 2 1/4 inches).

Caleb Meyer-Hagen ranked at seventh place (6 feet 2 3/4 inches) in the high jump, while Ryan Chase placed at ninth (6 feet 2 3/4 inches).

In the pole vault, the trio of Jason Atencio (ninth), Nathan Burnett (10th) and John Harari (12th) all cleared 15 feet 7 inches.

Hannah Riker-Urrutia and Shannon Fritz added top-10 marks on the women’s side.

Riker-Urrutia ran at 2:16.47 to finish her personal record in the 800-meter run. In the high jump, Fritz placed at ninth with her leap of 5 feet 3 inches.

With the individual records, the New Mexico track and field team likely picked up some momentum heading into this competitive weekend.

The Lobos will host their fourth straight home meet, the Don Kirby Elite Invitational, next weekend.

Bo Yu is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers track and field, cross country and volleyball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Bo_YuB.