Letter: The Daily Lobo needs to apologize to Abdallah, students for innacurate reporting

Recently, on the Daily Lobo’s Facebook page, a screen shot of an iPhone note was posted in order to update students about the Milo Protest on campus. The contents of this screenshot were accurate but the reporting by the Daily Lobo staff above was HIGHLY inaccurate. The post was also shared over 71 times throughout Facebook with factually incorrect statements.

Debbie Morris, director of the ASUNM Activity Center, has helped clarify the issue with many individuals but since there has been no retraction of misinformation/editorializing by the Daily Lobo. The University of New Mexico and acting UNM President Abdallah at no time “waived” the security fees. To “waive” a fee implies that it is forgiven and shut and misled the readers.

This was published despite President Abdallah never using the word “waive.” President Abdallah said quote, “As a result, I am directly suspending an application of that part of the policy that results in fees for security and police protection pending a thorough policy review.”

Without the editorializing of statements, it is clear that President Abdallah is within his powers as UNM president and does not violate Student Union/Board of Regents agreements. The word “waive” might not seem significant but the language in which the Daily Lobo reports is critical for understanding the facts of the situation.

I am requesting a formal apology to President Abdallah, as well as the UNM students, for being misled by their student paper that operates partially thats to student fees, in addition to a formal article for the clarification of the issue between the president Abdallah, ASUNM, and the future of the policy.

Tim Carlton-McQueen
Daily Lobo reader