Letter: Craving more money is the most harmful addiction

Booze, junk food, cocaine, meth, sugar, heroine, sodas, cigarettes are all awful addictions, but no addiction is more harmful than craving much more money, more stuff than we need.

I enjoy having enough -- healthy food, one sunny room to live in, a garden for food and flowers. I lived well all of 2016 on $4,946.00 for my total expenses -- rent, food, etc. -- less than half the U.S. poverty level for me as a single person.

The U.S. has less than 5 percent of the world’s people, but the U.S. steals and hogs 25 percent of the world’s wealth. How much worse the environment and global climate chaos would be if all the 7.4 billion people on Earth now, and billions to come, consumed, traveled, polluted and ate meat and dairy like most Americans!

Why hog much more than my fair share in the world family? Freedom is not having and not wanting much stuff I do not need.

My time is more precious than millions of dollars. My close relationships are more precious than mansions full of stuff!

No high-paying job is worth selling out my conscience and silencing my voice publicly on important controversial concerns. I refuse to be an impotent wimp spectator in the bleachers of life.

I treasure wisdom, deep conversations, health, dear friends living and dead, men I have been in love with...I am to live truth as best as I see it. Why have much more than I need while many millions have less than they need?

Don Schrader

Daily Lobo reader