ASUNM joins NM student body leaders to condemn veto of higher ed funding

On Tuesday, Associated Students of UNM President Kyle Biederwolf joined the student body presidents of five other New Mexico institutions to condemn the recent veto of higher ed funding for next year by Gov. Susana Martinez.

“We firmly believe that access to higher education is more important than ever in New Mexico. We need to be investing in bright and innovative minds to tackle our state’s challenges,” the statement reads. “We are disappointed in those elected to serve us, as they have allowed such a critical issue to be caught in the middle of partisan political crossfire.

Martinez chose to strike funding for UNM and other colleges across the state earlier this month, in an act of defiance against what she called a “wasted” 60-day session by New Mexico legislators.

The veto, as well as not being able to come up with a state budget for the next year, makes it virtually inevitable for a special session to be called.

The veto also means that UNM administrators must wait on making important budgetary decisions of its own. The Board of Regents Budget Summit – during which the budget for next year is discussed, as well as potential tuition and student fee increases – has yet to be held this semester. Last year it was held in mid-March.

“We urge our Governor and legislators to come together during the special session to address higher education funding with students and the future of New Mexico at the forefront of the conversation,” the statement continues.

Along with Biederwolf, the statement is signed by student body presidents at New Mexico State, New Mexico Tech, Highlands University, Western New Mexico University and Eastern New Mexico University.

The full statement can be found below.

"We, the presidents of the student government associations of the four-year higher education institutions in the State of New Mexico, are concerned about the Governor’s line-item veto of New Mexico Higher Education. We firmly believe that access to higher education is more important than ever in New Mexico. We need to be investing in bright and innovative minds to tackle our state’s challenges. 

We are disappointed in those elected to serve us, as they have allowed such a critical issue to be caught in the middle of partisan political crossfire. If the Governor truly cared about higher education in this state, she would not leave our higher education institutions and the thousands of students they serve in the dark about their anticipated budgets for the next year. We find it disappointing that politics are being put in front of the success of New Mexico students. 

We urge our Governor and legislators to come together during the special session to address higher education funding with students and the future of New Mexico at the forefront of the conversation. Protect our students from politics and ensure that we are given the resources we need to become the next generation of leaders in our state."

Signed by:

Kyle Biederwolf
ASUNM President

Matt Bose
ASNMSU President

Gabriel Montoya
NM TECH SGA President

Julian Padilla
ASNMHU President

Claudia Osuna Ochoa
ASWNMU President

Joshua Alvarez
ASENMU President

David Lynch is the editor-in-chef at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @RealDavidLynch.