Jack Zoellner congradulated by the dugout after hitting a 3-run homerun against UNLV on Saturday 4/21.

Baseball: Lobos return home hoping to break three-game skid as they host UNLV

The 2017 baseball season has resembled a roller coaster ride for UNM so far, but the Lobos hope to put an end to its current three-game losing streak on Friday at home.

New Mexico (20-16-1) has enjoyed stringing together consecutive wins multiple times this year. The team has posted separate win streaks of seven, six and three games.

But the Lobos also fell on hard times, losing six straight games earlier in the season and find themselves mired in a three-game skid heading into this weekend's home stand against UNLV (14-25).

The Lobos are still tops in the Mountain West conference though, and have played very consistent baseball at Santa Ana Star Field, where the team is 11-3.

UNLV has not played well on the road, winning just three of its 17 road contests. That may not bode well for the Rebels, considering New Mexico got the better of UNLV in a series earlier this season.

The Lobos completed a series sweep over the Rebels on the road. UNM picked up the first win by shelling UNLV on its home turf in the Mar. 24 series-opener 29-8, though the other two games were much more competitive.

The starting pitchers for the first two games are scheduled to feature a pair of right-handers for the Lobos. Tyler Stevens is slated to begin things on Friday, with Johnathon Tripp taking the hill the following day. a release said. The UNM pitcher for game three has not been named.

UNLV will counter with Alan Stong and Tevita Gerber, respectively. The Lobos appear to have a large advantage in pitching and several other areas, as all three Rebel pitchers have a six-run ERA or higher.

That could be good news for a Lobo roster that will be looking to get the offense going again.

Outfielder Jared Mang has been consistent as of late, currently ranking third on the team in batting average. He has hit safely in four of his last five games, cranking out multiple hits in three of them.

Fellow Lobos Luis Gonzalez and first baseman Jack Zoellner are one-two on the team in hitting and could be poised for big weekends as well.

Friday's game is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. All three games will be carried on the Mountain West Network and broadcast on ESPN radio 101.7, the TEAM.

Robert Maler is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers football and men’s and women’s tennis. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @robert_maler.