Letter: New Mexico is failing the Mexican Gray Wolf

To the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service:

Look, we’re all grown-ups here. Let’s cut through all the bullshit.Every USFWS employee involved with the Mexican Gray Wolf recovery program has sold them out. You’ve all sold out the Mexican Gray Wolves.Either by the “Sin of Commission” or the “Sin of Omission.” Either selling them out by direct action, like those who wrote the new recovery plan, or selling out the Mexican Gray Wolves by their inaction, like not standing up or speaking up or screaming at the top of your lungs that the program has been, and is continuing to fail the wolves.Let’s also cut the bullshit about the reasons the program is failing. The real reason, the core problem, is money, power and influence. Some people who have a lot of money then want power. And some people with power want to influence things. Mostly to make themselves more money. In this case that influence is also killing Mexican Gray Wolves. And killing them off.And let’s skip the pretense that this new recovery plan will succeed. It will fail for so many reasons that if it wasn’t so sad it would be laughable. That pretense is the “elephant in the room” that no one speaks out loud. And the silence is deafening.But all that is just backdrop. There’s always some backdrop. What matters always is how people react to those greedy influences. Some embrace them for greater personal gain. Others give in, give up and chicken out. Too scared to challenge this travesty of justice, also for their own personal benefit. A very few fight the good fight, until they leave or are removed.I’ll be blunt again, and I am correct in saying, that all of you employees have thus far sold out the Mexican Gray Wolves.Heck, even just considering the failure of this program, and that the draft plan continues that failure, it’s obvious they’ve been sold out. 18 years and there’s only 113 Wolves. After 18 years. And 35 years more just to get to 300? That is insulting to everyone’s intelligence, as well as to God. And a sorrow in my heart.Those of you in this program who know right vs. wrong have to stand up and speak up. You have more influence than we who submit comments. You just have to grow your cajones or ovaries a little — do the right thing and call out this vicious recovery plan.

Call from the mountaintop if you have to. The night before the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was shot dead, he gave his last speech, known as his “Mountaintop” speech. He knew by that he was a marked man. He ended his speech by saying:“And so I’m happy, tonight.I’m not worried about anything.I’m not fearing any man!Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.”And while we should always try to do right by God, we must also do right by the Mexican Gray Wolves. Not the humans who already have enough money.This program is for the Mexican Gray Wolves, remember?

David J. Forjan