Letter: Newspapers should be more careful about the opinions they publicize

I am a graduate of the University of New Mexico School of Law class of 2011 and an immigration attorney in Santa Fe. I appreciate your need to print a variety of opinions about current events. On its face, in fact, Ryan Margraf’s Sept. 14 letter “Trump Faces Sensitive Topic With Immigration” is a fine opinion. It misstates many facts and reeks of conservative bigotry but it is, after all, Mr. Margraf’s opinion.

Editor, I think you need to consider this headline: Daily Lobo faces sensitive topic with immigration. A letter you may consider innocuous civil discourse threatens the safety of students on your campus. UNM proudly welcomes students of all immigration statuses and seeing anti-immigrant sentiments in print, even when they are opinions, can be terrifying and isolating to immigrant students in an environment where they are simply trying to learn and thrive like everyone else.

Do you print letters that may incite terror against your black students? Your female students? I am seeing the Trump administration and ICE do incredibly cruel things to my clients and the propaganda you chose to print is a dog whistle to all the Americans out there who are seeking validation for inhumane treatment of our immigrant neighbors and friends. Your choices matter. Please do better.

Allegra Love