New Mexico forward Sam Gleadle keeps the ball away from West Virginia players at the UNM Soccer Complex on Oct. 1, 2014.

Men's Soccer: Sam Gleadle signs with Reno 1868

Sam Gleadle has signed a professional contract with Reno 1868 of the USL, the club announced on Monday. Gleadle graduated from the University of New Mexico in December following a four year career with the Lobos.

During his final season at New Mexico, he started 14 games for the Lobos, scoring three goals and adding two assists, including two game winning goals. He was named to the All-Conference USA Third Team in November. For his career, he appeared in 70 games for the Lobos, including 31 starts, and scored five goals while adding 12 assists. He becomes the second former Lobo in as many years to sign for Reno, joining Chris Wehan, who spent one year with the club before signing with San Jose Earthquakes earlier this offseason.

“This is something I’ve been working towards my entire life and if feels great to sign my first contract,” Gleadle said in a UNM release. “I’m looking forward to being part of a team again, working for something bigger than myself and putting the team-first mentality back into my play. Tryouts are tough but this reward makes it all worth it. I’ve had a lot of support from my family and friends, in the US and England, and they have never stopped believing in me so I owe a lot to them!”

Gleadle is one of four preseason trialists who saw their hard work result in a permanent contract with the club, and he’ll look to get some minutes when the club opens its season, according to Reno head coach Ian Russell.

“Sam is a diligent worker who developed into one of the best attacking talents in the country his senior season,” New Mexico head coach Jeremy Fishbein said in a release. “He has electric pace and one-vs-one ability which will translate into much success at the professional level. He is extremely deserving of this opportunity and it will be a pleasure following his success.”

Gleadle becomes the fourth Lobo from last year’s team to sign a professional contract, joining Aaron Herrera, Jason Beaulieu and Alex Vedamanikam.

Reno will open its season on March 17 against Swope Park Rangers at 4 p.m. in Reno, Nevada.

Cameron Goeldner is a sports beat reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer and softball but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @goeldfinger.