Letter: Trump's negotiation attempts with North Korea are laudable

The election of Donald Trump as the President of the United States was historic for many reasons.

I was very proud as an American to witness the election of our nation’s first orange president on the heels of having elected our first black president. Our nation’s growing tolerance is truly touching, but on a more serious note, President Trump has announced his intention to meet with the North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in May for a peace summit. While I am no fan of President Trump, I must give the man his due for making a bold move for peace in a world that knows far too much war.

I find it disturbing that some politicians would criticize President Trump for wanting to meet with Kim, because weren’t many of those same Democrats cheering on President Obama when his diplomats sat down at the negotiation table with the Iranians?

If I recall correctly President Obama gave a speech in which he challenged the critics of the Iran nuclear deal by saying that perhaps they preferred the alternative of another needless war? If this summit can somehow lead to the avoidance of nuclear war, then shouldn’t all Americans applaud that?

The United States’ previous policy of refusing to meet with the North Korean leadership has only increased tension on the Korean peninsula, so if President Trump sits down to negotiate with Kim Jong Un, then I, for one, am all for it.

Muhajir Romero