Softball: Skylar Jenkins commits to UNM

The University of New Mexico softball program added its fifth recruit of the 2019 class last week with the commitment of Skylar Jenkins, an outfielder from Buford High School in Lawrenceville, Georgia.

Jenkins hit .415 during her senior season en route to helping her team win its 10th consecutive state championship.

“She was a really good find for us, Tyler (Heil) and Megan (Betsa) saw her out in Florida when they were out recruiting,” head coach Paula Congleton said. “We kind of just kept in touch with her, and she’s definitely going to have an immediate impact on the program next year. She’s got speed, she’s got power, she’s smart. So we’re looking forward to her joining the group.”

Jenkins was named to the Scout All-American team in 2016, and competed at the club level for Georgia Fire and Southern Force.

"I chose to attend The University of New Mexico because it is an extremely diverse community, the University is among the premiere universities in the country and the new softball staff came highly recommended by Baseball/Softball Rebellion and Scout-Softball," Jenkins said in a release. "I visited UNM two years ago and I loved it. I am hopeful to contribute to the national presence the new softball staff is building."

Jenkins is the second outfielder to be added to the 2019 class, joining Leslie Romero, who can play centerfield and catcher, and signed with the Lobos back in November.

Cameron Goeldner is a sports beat reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer, softball and the Albuquerque Isotopes, but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@goeldfinger.