A UNM stops to pet a dog on her way to class.

Therapy dogs come to UNM for homecoming

The University of New Mexico kicked off Wolfstock Homecoming week with “Peace, Love and Puppies” a dog kiss, furball-filled event Monday at Smith Plaza. Students could play with dogs from Southwest Corps of Canine Volunteers. There were nearly 10 dogs of all shapes and sizes, all of which were licenced therapy dogs.

According to Sue MacEchan director of UNM Alumni Relations, this is the first time homecoming week has involved a dog therapy event. However, Southwest Corps of Canine Volunteers has come to UNM campus before on multiple occasions.

UNM Alumni Relations is one of the groups in charge of organizing homecoming week along with other groups across campus. The idea fit in really well with the wolfstock theme too, MacEchan said.

“The dogs come to ease the tension and help students go into a test or if you are just stressed out with school,” MacEchan said. “Having an opportunity to pet the puppies is just a good stress reliever.”

Students were lined up to greet the dogs before they even arrived on campus. Each of the dogs arrived with their respective owner, some of them wearing blue and pink bandanas with their names on them.

Dogs included Golden Retriever, Chocolate Labrador, Pomeranian and several mutts. All of the volunteers said they give their time for free and are happy to spend their time with their dogs and students.

Meena Recher-Kelkar was one of the students who spent time with the dogs and said this is the first time in her life she hasn’t owned a dog. She said coming on to campus and getting to pet the dogs was an excellent surprise and stress reliever.

“I love all animals, we had a really amazing dog when I was a child,” Recher-Kelkar said. “Having someone to come home to that just loves you no matter what. They are just like a best friend. I wish (UNM) had this every week.”

According to Recher-Kelkar, it would be perfect to bring therapy dogs onto campus for finals or even midterms and hopes this event could become more frequent.

This was just the first event for UNM’s Wolfstock Homecoming week. Events will continue to be hosted throughout the week and include The Diner en Rouge on Friday night, the All University Breakfast on Saturday and of course, the homecoming game on Saturday at 4 p.m.

Megan Holmen is the assistant news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com, culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @megan_holmen.