UNM’s De’John Rogers attempts to make a tackle on NMSU’s Jason Huntley. The Lobos defeated the Aggies 42-25 on Saturday night, breaking a two-year losing streak to their in-state rival.

Football: Dream come true for De'John Rogers and Lobo secondary

LAS CRUCES, N.M — For University of New Mexico Lobo defensive back De’John Rogers, dreams apparently do come true.

Behind five interceptions, a feat that hadn’t been accomplished since 2003, hauled in by the University of New Mexico defense, including that interception from Rogers in the second quarter that resulted in an easy touchdown to pull UNM within three, the Lobos were able to win a sloppy game over the New Mexico State University Aggies.

“I dreamed it last night, I’m not gonna lie to you,” Rogers said of the play. “I dreamed it last night, this was my first start, I was a little nervous because I didn’t really play yet this year, I was nervous but I definitely dreamed it last night.”

The final score of 42-25 doesn’t accurately reflect how close the game was in the closing minutes, or the Lobos rocky start. After Sheriron Jones threw an interception returned for a touchdown on the opening drive was followed with a strong offensive output for NMSU, UNM finished the first quarter down 17-0.

After that quarter, the Lobos held NMSU scoreless until Jason Huntley caught a wheel route and turned it into a 58-yard touchdown with 11 minutes left in the fourth, winning the foot race against the defense. Head coach Bob Davie said that was the only play that the Aggies were really able to make after everyone settled in and the game got going.

“You knew what this game was going to be, it was a do-over for New Mexico State after the kind of schedule they had the first three games,” Davie said. “Whoever had that spark early felt like they could carry that spark one way or another, and that’s what I appreciate about our team, to be able to weather that storm when it’s 14-0 right off the bat, to weather that storm knowing we’ll be limited offensively, I thought some guys picked up the slack for us.”

The Aggies rotated quarterbacks throughout the night, playing three in total before settling on third-stringer Josh Adkins in the second half. Adkins found the most success on the night, throwing for 168 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.

Marcus Hayes, the redshirt freshman out of Illinois, followed up his forced fumble last week with two interceptions today, including one in the final minute of the game that secured the Lobos victory as well as increasing the margin.

“I saw the dude go in motion and I knew I had to take him,” Hayes said of his game clinching pick. “I saw the second receiver try and pick me so I knew he wasn’t going to go over the top, my instinct just told me to undercut it and the ball came to me.”

Hayes now has three turnovers for the year, a third of the nine that the Lobos have.

“I’m just trying to make plays for my teammates, I know my seniors are out here and it’s their last game against New Mexico State, I just do it for them and I made sure that they went out with a win,” Hayes said.

A defense that has been maligned in the past, Hayes feels that the team has made a statement about what this year’s group is about.

“We don’t fold,” Hayes said. “Our defense is a brotherhood and we’re going to ride for each other no matter what. Inside our five yard line, it doesn’t matter. We’re going to ride for each other until we make a play.”

Cameron Goeldner is a sports beat reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer, women’s basketball, softball and the Albuquerque Isotopes, but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com