Pictured from left to right is Janice Arnold Jones, Deb Haaland and Lloyd Princeton. Tuesday night the three CD-1 candidates gathered for a debate in UNM's Kiva Auditorium. 

Congressional candidates participate in debate at UNM

Editor’s note: Daily Lobo News Editor Madison Spratto co-moderated this debate, however, she was not involved in the reporting or editing process of this piece.

The Associated Students of the University of New Mexico held a New Mexico Congressional District 1 debate between Republican candidate Janice Arnold-Jones, Democratic candidate Deb Haaland and Libertarian candidate Lloyd Princeton.

Students and community members gathered to listen to the the candidates discuss 13 questions compiled by ASUNM. All three candidates said public debates are a key part of campaigns because they allow constituents to listen to positions on important issues and ask questions.

Education

Arnold-Jones said the first thing that needs to be improved in the New Mexico public education system is literacy levels. Jones said that the lottery scholarship is available to any student in New Mexico with a C or better average, providing them access to higher education. She also said that everyone who gets a loan has chosen to do that, but building jobs is the best way to combat the national student loan debt.

“In congress we will appropriate money for Title I and Title IX. It's about 7 percent of the budget,” Arnold-Jones said. “I will have absolutely no say other than my soap box at the legislature with regard to education in the state.”

Haaland said the Lottery Scholarship is essential to providing access to higher education, however, often that money is not enough and therefore financial aid availability needs to be increased. She also said students in high school need additional test prep to help them become eligible for scholarships. Individuals entering into public service should have some sort of student debt forgiveness option as well.

“Every child needs access to a quality public education everywhere in the country. That means universal early childhood education. That would ensure that our kids are able to read by first or second grade,” she said.

Princeton said he absolutely supports the continuation of the Lottery Scholarship and the way to reduce the student loan debt crisis is by creating jobs. He also said that additional funding needs to be provided for at-risk families, adding that student loan forgiveness is a viable option.

Gun violence

Arnold-Jones said “I am an advocate of the Second Amendment.” She said the U.S. has a problem with mental health and there is no reason that these shooters should not have been identified.

Haaland said there is no reason for people to have access to military grade weapons and that common sense gun laws are needed.

“Everytime we turn around someone is coming into our schools and shooting children. It has been an issue for a long time and it is time to stand with the students,” Haaland said.

Princeton said that while gun violence is a problem, millions of people are killing themselves through personal choices in food. He added that people absolutely want to have access to guns and criminals will be criminals regardless of whether high capacity magazines are outlawed or not.

“The reality is that there are more guns on the street than people in the country,” Princeton said.

Immigration

Arnold-Jones said family separation comes down to a housing issue. She said this is a huge issue because immigration policies are not working and the largest problem is that people are overstaying their visas.

Haaland confirmed her earlier statements that ICE should be abolished, because the policies are inhumane. Humane immigration policies need to be implemented. According to Haaland, this policy needs to help people become citizens in a timely and affordable manner. Immigrants are not criminals just because they are here without documentation. DACA recipients need to be granted citizenship and undocumented veterans need to be granted citizenship as well.

Princeton said immigrants create businesses, but that work visas need to be given and a merit-based system has to be implemented.

Healthcare

Arnold-Jones said that transparency needs to be increased and there is so much to be done in the healthcare system. She added that everyone has a right to health insurance but people should be able to pay for their healthcare if they choose to.

“This is about healthcare and not health insurance,” Arnold Jones said.

Haaland said the Medicare expansion has helped New Mexicans because it allows them to receive the care they need in their communities. The more people that are enrolled in healthcare the more affordable it becomes, she said. This is because when individuals do not have health care then they receive medical attention in the emergency room. I support a woman's right to choose, she said. The government should not interfere with a woman’s decision about her body.

Princeton said most people do not know the actual price for the services and medications that they are receiving. Additionally, Princeton said creating healthcare should be provided across state lines. “I am pro-choice and I will not tell people what to do with their bodies,” he said, but added that abortion should not be used like birth control.

“When we put transparency into the system then consumers can make an educated choice about where they are going to go for that product and service,” Princeton said. “Then the costs will come down and the quality will go up.”

Megan Holmen is the assistant news editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email assistant-news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @meganholmen.