General manager of Wal-Mart on Rio Bravo, Max Torres, left, holds hands with Shanta Bausby's son during an event sponsored by PB&J Family Services Inc. at their headquarters on Monday. Wal-Mart and Wells Fargo donated money, food and Crock-pots to 100 fam

Group gets food to needy families

PB&J Family Services collaborated with the Albuquerque business community Monday to provide Crock-pots full of food to 100 hungry families.

PB&J Family Services is a local organization that provides case management, counseling, parenting classes and health care to needy families. Wells Fargo and Wal-Mart donated cash, food and Crock-pots for the program.

Dina Ma'ayan, development director for PB&J, said the organization works with families who have been in destructive environments for generations.

"PB&J's mission is to ensure that children and families are safe and nurtured," she said. "We break multi-generational cycles of abuse, poverty, neglect, addiction and incarceration."

While at PB&J, parents are taught skills to become the best parents they can be, she said. This includes learning to provide food for their families on a low budget, Ma'ayan said.

She said the teachers at PB&J are all case managers who know the needs of the families they serve because they visit their homes regularly.

"We know what is in the cupboards. That is how this project came to be," she said.

Ma'ayan said the wintertime is especially difficult because families go hungry and have a hard time focusing on parenting.

"In the winter it is harder because families have to decide, 'Should I pay my PNM bill or should I eat?'" she said. "We learned a long time ago that it is really hard to function when your stomach is growling."

Chris Chanelle Bausby, a Crock-pot recipient, said she is grateful that PB&J understands what families go through and does something to help.

"In the winter, it can be a real struggle. We have a real hard time, and we are grateful to PB&J for working for us," she said.

Bausby said she is excited to learn how to cook nutritious meals at home and was impressed by the generosity of the business sponsors.

"This was a big surprise to see that they got all of this for us," she said.

Bausby said she plans to save more money on food costs by using coupons when shopping for groceries.

"Even the little amount you save from a coupon adds up in the end," she said.

Ma'ayan said many PB&J families are used to buying their food at convenience stores and cooking it in the microwave.

"At this moment in their life, they do not have resources to make food for their families," she said.

The Crock-pots donated Monday will go to the families in parenting classes, where they will also get food and recipes and learn step-by-step how to make meals, Ma'ayan said.

"People who are intimidated to make food and afraid to try it, won't," she said. "With a Crock-pot, they can put things in and then they can have a nutritious meal that their family can enjoy."

Elizabeth Navarres, a Crock-pot recipient, said she enjoys cooking at home, and the device will help her save money on food costs.

"To save money when I am feeding my family, I like to mix leftovers to make stew," she said.

Along with the Crock-pots, Wells Fargo and Wal-Mart also made cash donations to support PB&J. Wells Fargo presented the organization with a check for $15,000.

Jennifer Riordan, Wells Fargo spokeswoman, said that the company enjoys helping the families at PB&J.

"PB&J came to us about a year ago and asked for a grant to provide food boxes for families. This year they came back and asked for a $10,000 grant to do it again. We were happy to do it," she said.

Ma'ayan said 1,800 PB&J families did not receive Crock-pots and food, and the organization needs more community support.

"We are interested in collaborating with UNM students who are interested in doing community service to feed people or help families," she said. "Anybody - fraternities, sororities, clubs and student organizations can collaborate with PB&J."

Five Ways to Save on Food Costs

Use coupons - Saving a little on individual items can add up to big savings

Buy in bulk - Buying items when priced two-for-one can lead to savings on commonly used products.

Meal planning - Allows you to buy only items you need rather than replacing things you won't use for weeks.

Limit eating out - Preparing meals at home is cheaper than eating at a restaurant.

Use community gardens - Learn about sustainability and growing your own food.

All suggestions provided by PB&J Family Services

www.pbjfamilyservices.org

505-877-7060