Assistant coach: Locksley hit me

Mike Locksley has jokingly likened himself to former Death Row Records CEO Marion “Suge” Knight, and they’re starting to mirror each other in reputation as well as appearance.

To date, Locksley has more legal troubles than wins. The list includes a pending sexual harassment lawsuit and, now, allegations of battery.

According to an Albuquerque Police Department report he filed Sept. 20, wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Jonathan “J.B.” Gerald said Locksley approached him in an “aggressive manner” after the two exchanged words in a “heated” conversation during a coaches’ meeting that day.

“Locksley grabbed him by the collar, and as other coaches were attempting to intervene coach Locksley punched him in the mouth, causing a small cut on the inside of his upper lip,” according to the report.

Gerald, who’s been on staff since late January, was not available for comment on Monday.

In a news conference Monday, Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs said Gerald won’t file charges.

Gerald has been on paid administrative leave since last week.

Krebs said he hopes everything gets smoothed over and Gerald opts for a return to the Lobos’ sidelines.

“We would welcome J.B. back to the program,” he said. “That issue rests with him right now.”

In a written statement, Locksley didn’t dispute some of the facts outlined in the police report.

“I acknowledge that an altercation took place last Sunday between myself and assistant coach J.B. Gerald during a meeting with the offensive coaching staff,” Locksley said. “I apologized to coach Gerald, the coaching staff and our team for my poor judgment. I would also like to apologize to Lobo fans. Like I remind our players, when mistakes are made, you acknowledge them and deal with the consequences. Our focus is now preparing to play a very good Texas Tech team Saturday in Lubbock.”

However, in a news conference at 7 p.m. Monday on the Lobos’ practice field, Locksley said the confrontation was no worse than getting in a fight with one of his brothers.

“I’m not going to get into specifics. In the coaching offices, we have disagreements. We can agree to disagree. It should never get to the point that it got to,” he said. “I’d venture to say it wasn’t necessarily a punch.”

Krebs said that the University won’t tolerate this type of behavior and that he verbally reprimanded Locksley and will follow up with a written letter.

“It’s a mistake that can’t be repeated again,” he said. “We cannot condone coach Locksley’s actions. You simply cannot put your hands on another coach. That is simply not acceptable under any circumstance.”

Krebs said he found out about the police report last Tuesday, but the Athletics Department waited until Monday’s announcement to formally address the issue.

Defending his hire, Krebs said he doesn’t believe this incident is indicative of Locksley’s character.

“I think there’s been a tremendous amount of leadership exerted,” Krebs said. “People are being held accountable for their behavior, and this is a lesson for all of us.”

This isn’t the first time Locksley and Gerald have locked horns. Earlier in the year, The Daily Lobo reported that the two had a verbal exchange after practice on Aug. 13.

During that altercation Locksley pestered Gerald, continually advancing toward him as the wide receivers coach attempted to distance himself from Locksley. Eventually, Gerald walked off in the opposite direction.

The next day, Gerald downplayed the exchange: He said it was simply a disagreement among coaches.

“He’s the head coach, and I have to get my guys playing,” Gerald said. “That’s the extent of it. It’s not a big deal at all. I love the guy. He’s one of the best coaches I’ve been around.”

Intense media scrutiny and a winless start allegedly contributed to the incident on Sept. 20, Krebs said.

“Coaching is a high-stress business — an incredible amount of hours, time, commitment,” he said. “You’re in a very closed environment with your staff members. I have no doubt that the frustration over losing adds to that. In this business it is not uncommon for coaches to have heated discussions.”