Joshua “Techno Guy” Arellano listens to music playing on his laptop Thursday at the north end of the SUB. Arellano used to play techno music on his boom box every Tuesday and Thursday, but since professor James Burbank filed a complaint against Arellano, he plays his laptop to keep the volume down.

'Techno Guy' forced to pause his SUB tunes

Students passing the north end of the SUB on Tuesdays and Thursdays will have to find their own beat to walk to.

The pause button has been hit on student Josh “Techno Guy” Arellano’s boom box after a faculty member complained about the music on behalf of UNM students.

English professor James Burbank filed complaints with the Dean of Students about the twice weekly music shows, which he said are disruptive. This led Arellano to temporarily stop playing his music.

Burbank said he did not mind the music itself, but it was too loud and inhibited students’ ability to learn.

“I’m not against having music on campus, but the fact that everybody is supposed to have this forced on them seems inappropriate,” he said. “We need a university campus that recognizes and respects the study environment and that students and faculty get to participate all together in deciding what that is.”

Arellano, who has occupied the same spot by the SUB for the past five years, said he’s never seen students study in the area.

“The SUB is not a place to go study because there is a lot of activity,” he said. “I don’t think putting my music out there is preventing people from studying, because it’s not like I’m in front of a library. I would understand why people would be upset if I was there.”

Burbank said he’s not the first to complain about the music, but he was the first to get a response from the SUB administration.

“I guess I’m the one who is going to take the heat for it, and that’s OK by me,” he said. “If people want to say mean things about it, that’s their business and I respect their opinion.”

Student David Vann, a friend of Arellano’s, circulated a petition countering Burbank’s request. The petition got 2,417 signatures and was presented to the SUB administration.

Student Steven Wills, who played bagpipes on Smith Plaza early this week, said Burbank filed another complaint against him.

“He needs to mind his own business,” Wills said. “Music is art. Everyone has their own taste, but if you don’t like it, too bad. Just because one person doesn’t like a certain type of art or music, (it) doesn’t mean they can eliminate its presence.”
Burbank said that as a musician himself, he understands why people like Arellano and Wills want to play in public places, but they shouldn’t do so when it interferes with academic activities on campus.

“It is a campus after all, isn’t it? Sometimes I don’t know if it is or if it is a skate park or a place to blast music,” he said. “It seems to me reasonable and logical that this is a campus, that is an academic environment where everybody can listen to the music they want. All they have to do is wear earphones.”

Arellano said he aims to broaden people’s perception of music and inspire New Mexico’s musical culture to develop.

“I am interested in changing the environment of New Mexico to become a Mecca for electronic culture and for people to respect the culture as a culture because it exists,” he said. “There is a certain vibe, a certain feeling associated with the music that is amazing, and I would like to spread that vibe.”

Arellano said he’s working with Ryan Lindquist, associate director of Student Activities, to determine an appropriate volume level for the music to be played.
“The music will be back very soon,” he said. “It will be at a lower volume level, but it will be back.”

Lindquist was unavailable for comment.