Adam Hevey and Jessicah Adkins share a private moment after their wedding ceremony in the Guild Cinema on Jan. 9. They have known each other since they were 9 years old.

Film lovers say vows in front of silver screen

A lot of strange things can happen in a dark movie theater.

Adam Hevey and Jessicah Adkins decided to share their love of movies and movie theaters with friends and family on their big, but not extravagant, day.
Hevey and Adkins have known each other about 14 years, and, on Saturday, they took their vows at the Guild Cinema.

“When you’re poor atheists, you have to think creatively,” Adkins said.
Hevey sported a foot-tall green Mohawk, and Adkins had two-inch-heeled ruby red slippers to match her simple red dress.

“Before we actually started dating, we worked on movies together,” Adkins said. “That’s pretty much how our courtship began.”

Adkins said their common interest in indie filmmaking was one of the reasons they decided on the Guild as the venue for their wedding. They also wanted to do something uniquely their style, she said.

The ceremony was led by a close friend and lasted about 30 minutes.

Hevey said they wanted their wedding to support their favorite local businesses, such as Cake Fetish and O’Neill’s Pub.

“We don’t make a lot of money and we save very hard,” Hevey said. “Having it here (The Guild) and (the reception) at O’Neill’s, it was much cheaper than the average wedding. We spent around $6,000 on the whole thing.”

The location of their wedding was not the only diversion from conventional weddings. They also incorporated their love of filmmaking with two short films. The first was a movie-wedding montage that included scenes from “Spaceballs,” “The Simpsons” and “The Office.”

Their second short was a compilation of interviews with friends and family about the couple.

“I feel very blessed to have loving friends that care about us and contribute to our projects and let us film them,” Hevey said.

Hevey said they haven’t been making films recently because they both have other jobs that keep them busy.

“There was a time where we were doing short film competitions constantly, and, occasionally, we did the national film challenge and the 48-hour film competition,” Hevey said. “We used to do a lot of film out of Madstone Theaters when it was still up.”

Thomas Adkins is Jessica’s brother and said he enjoyed the ceremony because it was focused on their appreciation for one another.

“It’s definitely a lot more entertaining and different from traditional and non-traditional weddings, because they didn’t try to make it stand out that it was a different wedding. This was more about them enjoying themselves.”

Thomas said he also enjoyed the laid-back, personal feel the wedding had.
“They wanted to emphasize that it’s a happy moment,” he said. “You’re not supposed to sit here and listen to (a minister) talk like he knows them when he doesn’t.”

Keif Henley, owner of the Guild, said he has only had a couple weddings in the theater, but because Hevey and Adkins are regular patrons, it was the right fit for them.

“Usually, this is for people who want something less conventional and more out of the ordinary and a different kind of experience,” Henley said. “Perhaps we’re more affordable than any other place.”

Both parties wrote vows, which had a touch of humor and style.

“My love for you is like a truck,” Hevey said at the end of his vows.

Adkins ended hers with, “So let the wild rumpus start.”