Flamenco festival rises from the ashes

Albuquerque seems like an unlikely rival for such cultural hubs as New York and L.A.; but in the world of flamenco, the Duke City reigns supreme.

Eva Encinias-Sandoval, UNM professor and director of the National Institute of Flamenco, said, “The national and international communities are envious and surprised at what we have here.”

Albuquerque’s flamenco scene has a nationally-acclaimed flamenco conservatory. Encinias-Sandoval said Albuquerque has the only flamenco repertory company in the country, the only undergraduate and graduate flamenco programs in the country and an annual world-class flamenco festival that brings artists from around the world to teach and perform.

Encinias-Sandoval, who started teaching at the University in 1976, organized the first festival in collaboration with Fine Arts faculty member Jim Lowell in 1987 as a 50th anniversary celebration for the fine arts department. She said it was originally formatted as a three-day festival with two days of workshops and one evening of performances.

“I felt students needed to have more exposure to live performance,” Encinias-Sandoval said.

The festival was expanded into a 10-day annual event.

It ran for 23 years until it came to an abrupt halt in 2009. To the dismay of dancers, musicians and fans, the economic crisis forced organizers to postpone it.

She said the festival directors knew that letting the tradition die was not an option. In the spirit of struggle that Encinias-Sandoval said characterizes the art form, necessary financial decisions were made to resurrect the festival in 2010.

This year, the festival has been shortened from 10 days to five to cut costs while maintaining the highest caliber of performers.
Encinias-Sandoval said flamenco legends such as Manuela Carrasco, Manual Liñan, Andres Peña and Pilar Ogalla will be making their way here from Spain to share their knowledge and love of flamenco with festival-goers.

Encinias-Sandoval said she encourages everyone to check out one or more of the events scheduled for this year, as there are classes in music, dance and history for all levels at UNM. She said there will also be shows for those who want to experience the excitement and emotion of live flamenco performance.

“We are so glad it’s back,” Encinias-Sandoval said. “Our only agenda is education. All we care about is sharing the art form.”

Full disclosure: Rachel Fredell is in Flamenco 269 this semester.

*Festival Flamenco Internacional de Albuquerque 2010
June 9-13
Visit NationalInstituteOfFlamenco.org for info on venues and tickets
Discounts for New Mexico residents*