B.R. Holbrook leans back before a pass at practice Tuesday. Holbrook will start as quarterback during the Lobos first game at Oregon.

Holbrook moves up to starting QB

No one who followed the UNM football program was doubtful about the decision, but it has officially been announced: B.R. Holbrook will be the Lobos’ starting quarterback when UNM heads to Oregon on Sept. 4.
Freshman Tarean Austin will backup Holbrook, but Darian “Stump” Godfrey remains a strong candidate, said UNM head football coach Mike Locksley.

Overall, Locksley said, Holbrook’s experience — albeit limited — pushed him over Godfrey and Austin.
“B.R. has earned the right to be our starting quarterback,” Locksley said. “Throughout 19 practices, B.R. has been above and beyond the other competitors at the position.”

Counting last season, Holbrook played in five games, where he backed up former quarterback Donovan Porterie. During the season, Holbrook completed 19-of-34 passes for 170 yards and a touchdown, but he did throw two interceptions and dealt with a bout of mononucleosis, which cost him three games.

Now healthy, Holbrook worked on protecting the ball during camp and said he hopes the training transfers to the field.
“It is always an honor to be
guiding the team forward, and the guys — they have confidence,” Holbrook said. “At the same time, it all rests on your shoulders. You’re the hero when you win and the goat when you lose.”

Excelling during the Lobos’ training camp in Ruidoso, Holbrook crisply and coolly delivered balls to receivers.
“He has quite a bit of arm talent,” Locksley said. “He can make all the throws, and he is a very accurate passer. B.R. is more athletic than people give him credit for.”

More importantly, Locksley said, Holbrook had maybe one interception in 19 practices in scrimmage situations.
“The best thing he has going for him is he has a really good understanding of our system,” Locksley said. “B.R., by far, has the best grasp of where to go with the football. He is a guy who has really stepped up from a leadership standpoint.”

But that doesn’t mean he will continue to lead the team under center if he doesn’t produce. A number of mistakes, coupled with strong play from the freshmen backups, could lead to Holbrook being replaced. But for now, Holbrook said he is confident in his abilities.
“If we play the way we are capable of playing and focus on our little individual assignments, I think we will be alright,” Holbrook said.
Until Sept. 4, all Holbrook can do is wait. He said he is well aware of the challenge he and the Lobos face this season, starting with the Ducks, but he is only concerned with the present.

“We are playing the reigning Pac 10 champs. You can’t take that lightly,” he said. “But you are always concerned. We are going to be out here doing everything we can to prepare the right way.”