8355_leg1f.jpg

Gov. Susana Martinez addresses the N.M. Legislature in her inaugural State of the State address. Martinez laid out her plans to reinstate the death penalty, cut administrative education funds and imprison corrupt politicians.

Dealing with the deficit

SANTA FE — The 60-day legislative session kicked off Tuesday, and UNM officials will monitor 77 bills that could impact the University’s financial and administrative future.

If passed, some legislation would reorganize several administrations, prohibit public officials from lobbying during a certain period after vacating their posts, create a task force to study family workplace procedures and extend the Lottery Scholarship application process.
Marc Saavedra, UNM’s Government and Community Relations director, said in a mass e-mail that University officials have their work cut out for them.

“We are anticipating a long and grueling 60-day session during which state lawmakers will deal with many tough issues,” he said.

Saavedra said the University is supporting Gov. Susana Martinez’s recommendation of a 1.8 percent cut to UNM’s Instructional and General fund. The Legislative Finance Committee’s recommendation, which comes from the Legislature, is for a 3.8 percent I&G cut.

Senate Majority floor leader Michael Sanchez (D-Belen) sponsored SB 1, which would authorize the state to sell short-term revenue bonds to supplement the nearly $400 million deficit in the general fund.

If passed, the bill would assist operations at New Mexico universities.
“It’s intended to assist operations so there won’t be furloughs, salary cuts or outright dismissal of teachers and professors,” Sanchez told the Daily Lobo.

Sanchez said this is the first year he has ever had to plug a significant budget gap.

“There is a real need and this solves the budget need, but it’s going to be hard to pass,” he said.

Sanchez said if the money is appropriated, then it will be divided into each university’s general fund where school administrators will decide in what areas the money will be spent. He said it is unclear at this point how much money each university would receive.

Financial details will not be available until the bill makes it past committee hearings and the Legislative Finance Committee determines the budget’s finer details, Sanchez said.

Albuquerque’s Bill O’Neill (D-Albuquerque) sponsored HB 62, which would give students a 16-month window to receive the Lottery Scholarship after graduating from high school. Current legislation requires students to enroll immediately after high school in order to qualify for the
scholarship, which O’Neill said is unjust.

“Those who aren’t able to make that decision to go to college right away shouldn’t be able to be shut out,” he said.

O’Neill added that the House voted to support a similar bill in 2007, but the Senate voted down the bill because of financial constraints. He said he is expecting the same obstacle this session.

Jimmie C. Hall (R-Albuquerque) sponsored HB 70, which would cut funds from teacher preparation programs that do not teach future educators in order to develop science-based reading curricula. He said Dr. Richard Howell at the College of Education has embraced the idea and has been a leader in collecting opinions from representatives at CNM and ENMU.
“We’re not teaching science-based reading,” Hall said. “It’s tough. We have to make this clear, but if they don’t start, I am prepared to cut funding from the College of Education to zero.”

Bill Rehm (R-Albuquerque) sponsored a bill that would ensure no employee who resigns or is fired for just cause could receive a golden parachute severance package.

HB 60, or the No Golden Parachute Bill, states, “any state educational institution shall not pay any compensation, perquisite or allowance to an employee who resigns or is terminated for cause.”

The bill does allow for compensation if it’s determined under the employment agreement, but no “extraordinary benefits.”
Danice Picraux (D-Albuquerque) supports House Memorial 1, which would form a committee to evaluate family-friendly workplaces for women and children.
“This would take a holistic approach to form the idea about modern families,” she said. “Women are working, men are working and not many grandparents are around to take care of the kids.”

HM 1 would form an advisory task force to determine if public institutions are providing enough childcare opportunities and are allowing parents adequate time off work after they have a newborn.
“We will look at the UNM day care program and see what types of support they give for families,” Picraux said. “We could determine they need more space for services and take the necessary steps to appropriate funding to get them there.”

Gallery: Legislature First Day