From left to right:  Katy Seiler, Myriah Otero, Sonora Werenko and Forest Sumrald smoke cigarettes while waiting for the UNM shuttle on Redondo Drive and Yale Boulevard. UNM’s smoke-free policy has gone largely unenforced.

From left to right: Katy Seiler, Myriah Otero, Sonora Werenko and Forest Sumrald smoke cigarettes while waiting for the UNM shuttle on Redondo Drive and Yale Boulevard. UNM’s smoke-free policy has gone largely unenforced.

Smoking Ban is ‘Tobacco Totalitarianism’

Smokers aren’t always utilizing designated areas.

It’s been more than a year and a half since UNM became a “smoke-free” campus, but so far no one has been punished for smoking outside of designated areas.

Student Conduct Officer Rob Burford said five or six people have been warned to obey the policy. He said punishments for continued tobacco violations include probation, community service and even suspension.

“The policy is intended to be educational, not punitive,” Burford said.

Anyone caught smoking where they’re not supposed to is reported to the Dean of Students Office, according to policy. The Dean of Students Office then conducts an investigation to determine whether a violation occurred, and corrective action is taken if necessary. The policy calls on faculty, staff and students rather than UNM campus police to report their peers.

Student David Gutierrez said the ban is well-intentioned but inconvenient.

“When I get out of class at Johnson after being there for more than two hours, if I want a cigarette, I have to walk all the way to Zimmerman Library,” he said. “Instead I usually go without, or smoke outside of Johnson and then everyone that walks by gives me a dirty look.”

The policy aims to reduce the number of designated tobacco areas during a five-year period until UNM is completely tobacco-free, leaving many students with nowhere to smoke on campus.

Student Josh Gerring said the policy infringes on individual rights.

“I can understand that secondhand smoke is a health concern, and it is perfectly acceptable in my eyes to try to control it,” he said. “But UNM is presumptuous enough to tell me that I can’t even chew tobacco, which affects no one but myself. … It’s tobacco totalitarianism. (UNM President David) Schmidly doesn’t know what’s best for me, and I wish he would stop pretending he did.”

The policy bans electronic cigarettes, which contain no tobacco and are considered by some to be a cessation tool.
Student Julia Anderson said she is disappointed the ban isn’t firmly enforced.

“I have terrible asthma,” she said. “Before the ban, I used to have trouble breathing while walking through the Duck Pond area, or around Zimmerman … I see people smoking all over the place despite the ban. I’ve even asked police officers to tell people to stop and they never do.”